+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves for fly fishing

Default Gloves for fly fishing

This may sound a bit dumb, but I have problems with my line hand getting very cold this time of year. My hand gets wet when stripping line and then, if its windy, my hand gets very cold.

I'm not young anymore and my circulation isn't what it once was. It's starts to hurt a bit after awhile.

Can anyone recommend a type of glove that can be worn but doesn't interfere with casting or retrieving? I was thinking of the one's where the fingers are cut out, but I don't know what type of material to get.
    Thanks,
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

G.Loomis used to make a very nice neoprene glove...slightly thick but they worked well for me. The thumb and forefinger could be rolled back and velcroed if you need to use your fingers.

Also, look into Ice Armor glove. They're designed for ice fihing, but I've heard good things.

------------------
    Joe C.
    "Drift: If you saw a
    piece of steak moving
    unnaturally on your
    plate, would you eat it?"
    - Nick Lyons

I have a pair of Simms fleece gloves. Work great, keep warm and dry quickly.

Pete

Hi,
    A couple of seasons ago, I bought a pair of Manzella polartec fishing mitts from Bass Pro. The finger portions fold back when needed for tying on flies and/or other things but when not in use they fold back and sort of tuck under. They were not terribly expensive, are very warm, will launder and dry quickly and are still in use.
    I think I have seen them available through CAMPMOR catalog also. Online is: [url=http://www.campmor.com:b0273]www.campmor.com[/url:b0273]

One of our Sponsors, CHOTA, has very good fishing gloves, called Stow-A-Way Fleece
    Flip Mit. There is a photo of them on the Chota sponsor page. The best we've seen!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I'll second the motion on the Chota mitts. Very warm and comfortable and nothing gets in your way for line control. Great for those of us with circulation problems in the hands.

REE

I have tried many types of gloves for fishing for Steelhead in our NW winters. After trying many gloves from ones costing $5 a pair to ones costing just under $100 and made of many types of material, I still find a pair of fingerless wool rag gloves to be the best for the money and they can always be had for less then $10 often much less.
    For the price I carry 2-3 pairs and switch them out after the first gets just to wet and icy or after getting back to the truck and the cold steering wheel. They will still keep you hands warm even after getting them wet and still keep you in contact with the fly line.

I use the wool gloves from dollar stores at... a dollar a pair. Then I cut the thumb and forefinger at the tip. They last me a handful of trips and then I chuck them.

...forgot to add: Your body constricts blood circulation to the limbs when the core temperature is threatened. Keep your torso and especially your head well insulated and dry. This is the best way to keep your hands warm.

[This message has been edited by fishyfranky (edited 20 October 2005).]

The good ole Glacier Gloves are great for when it gets real cold where you are fishing

I have used most of the glove types mentioned here and my best solution is a combination of items. Either the fingerless wool or fleece gloves with a Surgical glove underneath has been the best for me. Sometimes when starting out in the morning it's really cold and then warms some. In those type conditions i'll remove the fingerless glove and just wear the surgical glove. It keeps the wind and wet off but allows great dexterity. The surgical gloves can be purchased by the box full, which is good because they usually are full of holes after a good day releasing fish. Try em i think you'll be surprised. RC
    P.S. I tried those dishwashing gloves too but water seems to get into them too easily.
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

+ Reply to Thread