+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One in a Hundred Who Fish are Left Handed Women

Hybrid View

Default One in a Hundred Who Fish are Left Handed Women

If one out of ten of us are left handed and if one out of ten fishers are women, one out of a hundred are left handed women. The question of why so few women fish remains unsolved to me.

But the question of women and fishing remains. I see some but not many. Of the ones I see many seem to be tagging along with their husband. With the explosion of girls teams in schools, I would expect to see more of the same in fishing.

Why is it? Or why isn't it?

Blog Entries

Maybe they are avoiding you.

I know lots of women who fish. Few of them are as fanatical about it as I, however, which makes me think that even though 10% of the flyfishers might be women, that does not mean that 10% of the angler-days (and thus the visible presence out there) spent on the water are by women.

We have lots of women fly fishers (and a few left-handed women) that frequent the Shop. One of our instructors, Donna Smith has a group of women fly fishers that meet here on a semi-regular basis. Some of her meetings involve casting sessions from beginner to advanced, some fly tyinhg and a few fishing outings.

Shoot me an email if you have someone in your life that might want to be a part of this group.

Joseph

Ya, 'title 9' should be enforced. Maybe now it will be.

I'm of the opinion that most women just don't have the time to prioritize fly fishing into their lives. They're either working career women, or working homemakers, or both. It's the exceptional woman that will put fishing of any kind near the top of their priorities list. However, it seems to me, that those who commit to it are pretty darn good at what they do, and I'd not like to get into a contest with those women flyfishers that I know. Righty or Lefty.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I dont know why more women dont fish, I've always wondered that myself. Because in all honestly I think women take to fly fishing instruction better than most men. Mainly because I find that as a man when someone tries to teach them something (and its true with me as well) the whole "ego" thing comes into play and its harder for a man to simple listen and understand what someone is trying to show them.

Women on the other hand seem much more open to leaning and the few women I do know that fly fish seem to have learned casting much quicker than it took me or other men to learn it.

Steve

I think it's obvious. Most of us male flyfishers got started by their father, uncle, brother etc. Except of course those that saw "THE MOVIE". What we need to do is make sure we take our daughters and granddaughters fishing.

In my local club, about 30% are women. I have no idea how many are left handed. Among the women are some very good ones. One claims at least 200 days / year on the water and another co-hosts a flytying series on PBS.
    Shaky;

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I'm of the opinion that most women just don't have the time to prioritize fly fishing into their lives. They're either working career women, or working homemakers, or both. It's the exceptional woman that will put fishing of any kind near the top of their priorities list. However, it seems to me, that those who commit to it are pretty darn good at what they do, and I'd not like to get into a contest with those women flyfishers that I know. Righty or Lefty.
    I tend to agree with this assessment in some cases. I am one of the minority of women who do make fishing a priority over pretty much everything else. Including housecleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. That's OK, right?

However, as much as I have committed to it, I have not progressed nearly as much as most people would with as many hours on the water. My biggest problem is I fail to learn from my mistakes. For some strange reason, I like to live out the definition of insanity when I'm fishing. Lately, I've been working on this. Like, by saying to myself, "Jessica, exactly HOW many fruitless drifts are you going to make through this run without changing your setup a little?" I'll get there eventually. By the way, I am a righty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    I think it's obvious. Most of us male flyfishers got started by their father, uncle, brother etc. Except of course those that saw "THE MOVIE". What we need to do is make sure we take our daughters and granddaughters fishing.
    I absolutely agree with this. There might not be such a difference in numbers if more little girls were taught to fish. Even if the girls drop out for a while to play with dolls (and then boys), they'll most likely come back to it later in life.
    I think, therefore I fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I fail to see that the relative lack of female flyfishers on the water, compared to the general populace, is necessarily something that needs to be corrected.
    As a female fly fisher, one of the big advantages to me of having more women fly fishing (other than more fishing buddies) is that the clothing and accessory (vests, packs, etc) manufacturers might take us more seriously. Men's clothing does not fit properly and I am tired of having to select from items that are not as good quality as men's gear in such non-outdoors colors as pink, purple, powder blue, or white. [sorry - that's a soap box of mine from which I will step down now.]

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    I definitely agree. The people who taught me to fish were my aunt and my grandmother. They were among the most addicted fishers I've ever met. My aunt even used to wait for my cousin to get off the school bus, hand him a brown paper bag with an after school snack, and "make" him accompany her on her daily excursions. He had to drive the boat or study while she fished! As my grandmother developed more health problems, I fished with my aunt until I left home for college. They did not fly fish, but when I returned to fishing years later, I tried it on my own. I apparently have the fishing addiction gene as I am now addicted to it myself and will delay completing documents (that generate my income) to go fishing.

I think if girls have positive experiences with fishing when they are young and with people who are a significant part of their lives, they will either stick with it or return to it when they realize "something is missing from their lives." Yes, families, child care, and work will interfere, but if it is important to them early on, they will find a way to include it in their lives as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    As a female fly fisher, one of the big advantages to me of having more women fly fishing (other than more fishing buddies) is that the clothing and accessory (vests, packs, etc) manufacturers might take us more seriously. Men's clothing does not fit properly and I am tired of having to select from items that are not as good quality as men's gear in such non-outdoors colors as pink, purple, powder blue, or white. [sorry - that's a soap box of mine from which I will step down now.]
    Don't feel you have to step down off the soap box! Testify! I won't wear that stuff either. But I have had some success finding appropriate colors in quality items made for other sports that will work for fishing. I really don't want "special" women's fishing stuff (pretty trim, girly colors, etc) - I just want the same stuff guys get in women's sizes.

By the way, when is someone going to make a wading jacket in a ladies cut that DOESN'T have huge pockets where we don't want them? And for less than $200, please. I just bought a ski jacket for cheap that is supposed to be 100% waterproof (yeah, I know, big joke) in a great color. It's not entirely perfect but it'll do. I've yet to see whether it's really waterproof or not. I mean how many people ski in the pouring rain?
    I think, therefore I fish.

+ Reply to Thread