+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native Watercraft-endorsed guide

Blog Entries

Default Native Watercraft-endorsed guide

I've been endorsed by Native Watercraft and have added a new Ultimate 14.5 solo to my fleet. I now have four boats in my plastic navy: two Natives and two Heritage (all made by the same company). I plan to sell the Heritages and add two more Natives.

If you're look for a good fishing kayak, check out a Native Watercraft Ultimate. You won't be disappointed.

Three of the fleet

Steve

Congrats Steve!
    I have a question for you concerning the Native Ultimate:

I have been seriously considering adding a Ultimate 12 to my fleet of river boats.
    I fish waters that are not flat and calm, except for a few sections. I use pontoon boats (1-man Scadden Skykomish Sunrise, 10.5ft and a 2-man Outcast FC-13, 13ft) currently. The rivers I float are very rocky and contain smaller sections of flat water (still with some current) to riffles to class III rapids. I've been looking for a solo boat to do short summertime evening trips when I don't have alot of time or a shuttle for a float trip. I want something I can paddle upstream and float back to the truck. I've seriously been considering a solo canoe but the Ultimate's reported stability has me interested. However, I am concerned how the Ultimate 12 will handle chutes and rapids. Don't really want waves rolling over the sides and swamping me!
    Opinion on the Ultimate 12 for this type water?

Thank you in advance.
    Mark 1:17

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
    Congrats Steve!
    I have a question for you concerning the Native Ultimate:

I have been seriously considering adding a Ultimate 12 to my fleet of river boats.
    I fish waters that are not flat and calm, except for a few sections. I use pontoon boats (1-man Scadden Skykomish Sunrise, 10.5ft and a 2-man Outcast FC-13, 13ft) currently. The rivers I float are very rocky and contain smaller sections of flat water (still with some current) to riffles to class III rapids. I've been looking for a solo boat to do short summertime evening trips when I don't have alot of time or a shuttle for a float trip. I want something I can paddle upstream and float back to the truck. I've seriously been considering a solo canoe but the Ultimate's reported stability has me interested. However, I am concerned how the Ultimate 12 will handle chutes and rapids. Don't really want waves rolling over the sides and swamping me!
    Opinion on the Ultimate 12 for this type water?

Thank you in advance.

Darrin,

I'm afraid I don't encounter that type of water here in Florida. However, the Natives are not self-bailing like a typical sit-on-top kayak. With that in mind, if you take on any water, you could get in trouble. If you can navigate the same water in a canoe with no risk, then the Native would work.
    Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.
    I've scooped out a couple solo canoes and looked over one Ultimate 12.
    The solo canoes I've looked at do seem to have higher gunwales than the Ultimate does, hence my concern for it taking on water a little easier in rapids.
    I also wonder about the handling of the pontoon-style hull being able to turn quickly and catch an eddy (to stop an fish) in moving water.
    For stillwater or really slow water, I think the Ultimate would excel, big time. I have doubts though in moving, faster water.
    Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.
    Mark 1:17

Well, Steve, I will probably get a Native Ultimate 12 (the plastic one) from Dolphin Dive in Sarasota (one of the listed dealers on the Native web-site). The shipping here for me would be done by the owner at a substantial savings. My biggest problem is going to be storage and I will order when I can find a place to store it. So........I'm still trying to work out a place for it. I will get with you about fishing Lake Manatee sometime when I can get some time off.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread