+ Reply to Thread

Thread: single foot guides.?

Default single foot guides.?

Got a hold of a 6'6" 2wt rx6 blank. Wondering if I should try single foot guides with it. I used to think they were um well "weird"..until I got an echo 8wt that has them and never even noticed they were there. Plus the wrapping would be cut in half. Would it make sense to try them on a light rod like this or is it something better served on a heavier weight rod? I have an old style stripping guide w/ no ceramic insert that I think is about 8mm that might work well. Also have an entire snake guide set but might go single foot on it. Also kinda confused on single foot guide sizes..anyone have a link for what would work on a 6'6" 2wt?
    sorry about all the questions,
    Janus

Single foot guides are perfect for a little rod like that 2wt you have Janus. The weight difference isnt really in the guide itself because they use about the same amount of material (the wire is just doubled back on the SF guide rather than twisted forward like on a snake guide). But they still end up a bit lighter mainly because you only have half the thread and half the epoxy finish used.

I would say to use SF guides on that rod for sure IMO.

For sizes you can use this size/spacing chart on it and it will work out well...

from tip- 4.5" - 9 3/8" - 14 3/4" - 20 9/16" - 26 3/4" - 33 3/8"-40 1/2"-48"

then for sizes try 5,5,5,5.5,5.5,5.5,6 then your stripper you have(8mm)

Sizes are not set in stone though some guys like to only use two differnt sizes, but the above is a basic starting point for you.

Steve

Thanks Steve I appreciate the info.

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/Guide-Space1.htm

Scroll down for the RX6 Models, this is straight from the horses mouth as they say.

thanks that will come in handy

Just my opinion but on a short light rods single foot guides are a must. You have the sizes and they are very nice to the eye when done. Any small rod I build in light weights (under 4 weight) I like to use single foot guides unless the customer asks for more. Put them on my spinning rods as well. Little harder to wrap then a doublefoot guide in that you have nothing holding the guide on the back side while you wrap but oh do they look nice. Keep us posted with pics of your build.

I too prefer the single foot guides for light weight rods. They are also nice on 5 and 6 weight rods. One thing to consider is that when you wrap a double foot guide, there is a wider "flat spot" in your blank caused by wrapping ahead and behind the guide. Single foot guides only have half the wrapping, hence, half the flat spot in your blank. To be honest with you, I can't tell the difference in my cast but I'm told it exists. I think the single foot guides are lower profiled and there is less chance of bending them when you load them back into your rod tube. I may be all washed up, but those are my thoughts.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread