+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a nice travel rod for my wife.

Default Looking for a nice travel rod for my wife.

Hi,

I am currently looking for a nice Travel rod (4pc or 5pc). I think a 9' '4wt would be nice for her, she's a beginner but really motivated. I think she needs a rod that feels light for her confort (this is the reason why I am thinking of a 4wt).
    The budget is between 150$ and 200$ for the rod. I am thinking of the redington Wayfarer or the Albright A5.
    Do you know the weight of the A5, the wayfarer is rated very light for its specs (just under 3.0 oz).
    I heard that some had braking issues with the albright rods ... But if they are nicer than the redington I would go for it.

I would apreciate any help .

There's a real nice Orvis 4pc 4wt in the for sale forum.

------------------

absolute rule no 1
    let her get it

I have a Cabela's Stowaway 7 and am really happy with it. I think it's the same rod as the Wayfarer, so that would be a good choice as well. By the way, Orvis has a 7 piece as well called the Frequent Flyer, but it's not made in VT as other Orvis rods. Probably made by the same company as the Redington and Cabela's. None the less, nice rod for under $200. I think my Stowaway was under $200 with the reel, line, backing, rod tube and travel case together.

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

I once bought my wife a lazer table saw and amazingly I used the same "story".
    Great minds DO think alike.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I have a Stowaway 5 pc and a wayfarer 5 pc, both 8 wts. They are not the same rod. They have different actions, different hardware and different handle. The Wayfarer is a better rod but also a faster action which may not be best for a beginner. Wayfarer has a lifetime guarantee. Stowaway is 1 year.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 22 February 2005).]

I bought my wife an Orvis 4 piece 3 wt but she doesn't fish and did not think it was too funny. I don't understand.

My wife really like fishing, and really desires to go for the next level : flyfishing.
    But she can really choose a rod by trying it she's not experienced enough...

Does a tip flex 9.5 for Orvis rod is very stiff ?? I don't really know their rods. Could it be too stiff for a beginner ?

absolute rule #2

buy the rod you want and give her yours.

A 4 weight is a wonderful rod.... but not as a first rod. You would be better off going to your fly shop laying out 2 bills on the counter and telling them that is the limmit and you want the best 5 weight or even 6 weight they have for that price. there are far more good 5's on the market then 4's and a 5 or 6 is easier to learn with. (rember the wind) take her with you and let her pick the color.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread