Yesterday or the day before I was out at a local lake attempting ot fish. I say attempting in that when I tried to cast there was a bit too much wind for me. My gear consisted of 6 wt rods and a 5wt rod. Knowing that the 5 would be too small I opted out of that one right off. Took my 6 wt graphite (7 1/2 ' ) and proceded to get the begeezers beat out of me. Could not get much more than 35 -40 feet of line out to save myself.
That being said the question is would I manage to get more line out , into the wind if, I were to learn to cast a spey rod? I've seen it done on video but dont recall if there was any wind involved. Also, as an aside , Gigger 222 was also there and he was'nt getting much distance either and He's a far better caster than myself (so I dont feel too bad about not getting much distance).
Any thoughts about this subject or am I casting into the wind again. Have thought about a heavier rod(8 wt ) and longer too ( 9' or better). Just seems if going bigger is better than why not go REALLY BIG? Am I all wet with this idea ? Input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Pearch