+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It was bound to happen

Hybrid View

Default It was bound to happen

http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=1519

I wonder if they get it at the Dollar Store

2. Default

The 'Dollar Store' has had a soft elastic rubbery type ball with elastic 'spikes' (my word) sticking out from the ball for at least a year. The balls come in several colors but each ball is a single color. The 'spikes' are round and the same color as the ball but vary slightly as they get to the tip. The 'spikes' are about 1 inch but stretch to about 2-1/2 inches. I considered trying one of these a long time ago but I didn't see a color I wanted to use. Kind of looks like an underwater mine like those seen in WW2 movies but with about 200 spikes. Look in the children's toy section. Have no idea about the floatation or sinking properties of the material.

Dub

Those look different than what I've seen/been using. I cut them off my kids toys (ok, I've actually bought them some of the toys because they were the colors I wanted!). Do a web search on "puffer ball".
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've seen and bought some of the two-tone toys as well as the solid colored ones. I've never seen them with black as one of the colors though.

There has been a thread or two here on the flies folks have tied with the material from the Dollar stores...and some discussion of the material....

Search for "Hairy Weenie".

I tied these and they work great. There was quite a punn filled thread earlier in the year that went on for several pages about the virtues of the hairy weenie.

Koosh Balls at the dollar store give you a lifetime supply of these in various colors.

The flies do work.

if you can't find the thread, pm me and I'll send some links to photos I took of the flies and how I tie them.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread