+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo No 1 - Finally done

Default Bamboo No 1 - Finally done

Several months ago I posted the following question to all you rod builders.

"Is it too late for a 60+ year old to learn to build good bamboo rods?"

Well, thanks to all of the encouragement received from my friends at FAOL I jumped head long into the addictive world of boo. Along the way, planing forms, binder, oven, sharpening jigs, and wrapping stands all became separate projects required to complete the rod. It has been a wonderful challenge and I think I can now answer the question myself. No, it is never too late to learn something new.

The rod is not quite complete, lacking the lettering and the final coats of varnish but I just couldn?t wait any longer to take some photos and share the results. It is a 7?-6?, 2 piece, 2 tip, 4 wgt., built to the Jim Payne 100 taper. The guides are Snake Brand and the reel seat and hardware are from Golden Witch. My only regret is that I did not use a little better grade of cork to build up the grip. But then again I never thought my first attempt would be good enough to justify it.

I am currently putting the finishing touches on a dip tube set up so I can get the varnish right and pouring over taper charts trying to settle on what the next rod will be.

Thanks to all for getting me kick started. I think!

Cool Hurrah

What a lovely job. The rod is just dandy, I have to ask, have you cast it yet? Really proud of you, this obviously was quite an undertaking.

You have to know I am envious,, congrats, well done, happy for you. One of my biggest regrets is that I never took the risk to build cane.

Thanks, both of you; I really appreciate it. Of course I have cast it. Only in the yard so far but I am just tickled to death. It is very sensitive out to about 40 ft and I think with a little adapting on my part it will be a great rod. I have not previously had much opportunity to cast bamboo rods so I have to slow down a little and feel the rod. I grew up on glass so it is kind of familiar.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    Several months ago I posted the following question to all you rod builders.

"Is it too late for a 60+ year old to learn to build good bamboo rods?"

Well, thanks to all of the encouragement received from my friends at FAOL I jumped head long into the addictive world of boo. Along the way, planing forms, binder, oven, sharpening jigs, and wrapping stands all became separate projects required to complete the rod. It has been a wonderful challenge and I think I can now answer the question myself. No, it is never too late to learn something new.

The rod is not quite complete, lacking the lettering and the final coats of varnish but I just couldn?t wait any longer to take some photos and share the results. It is a 7?-6?, 2 piece, 2 tip, 4 wgt., built to the Jim Payne 100 taper. The guides are Snake Brand and the reel seat and hardware are from Golden Witch. My only regret is that I did not use a little better grade of cork to build up the grip. But then again I never thought my first attempt would be good enough to justify it.

I am currently putting the finishing touches on a dip tube set up so I can get the varnish right and pouring over taper charts trying to settle on what the next rod will be.

Thanks to all for getting me kick started. I think!

Obviously it is not "too late" for you to build a BEAUTY! You should be very proud.
    Kudos!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Fantastic! Beautiful build. You are going to love that rod on the St. Joe.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Congratulations on your first rod! It looks really great! You must be a happy man now when you have a finished rod in your hands. I've been gathering all the tools and materials for more than one and a half years now but still didn't complete my first rod. Can't wait till I get some free time and finish my rod!

Good luck building them further!

Isn't it fun? Beautiful work Shaky! I am such a sucker for orange wraps on blonde rods. Well done and congrats! Is the reel seat cedar? Where did you get it, or did you turn and finish it yourself?

Whoops, just reread the post and notice the info on the seat.

Great Job!! Wraps are very nice looking.I love Payne tapers. Very easy casting rods.

Quote Originally Posted by boarmountain View Post
    Great Job!! Wraps are very nice looking.I love Payne tapers. Very easy casting rods.
    I believe the word is SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. Like budda. Seems like you can usually tell a Payne just by watching someone cast it. Long smooth curves.

+ Reply to Thread