+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you use ??

Hybrid View

Default what do you use ??

I've noticed after tying up several flies, my finger and finger tips get all dry and cracked, sometimes cuts from the thread. I was wondering if there is a good lotion, or cream, made for specifically for fly tying?

I've tried a couple of regular hand lotions but they don't seem to help, or last very long, especially for the finger tips .... man they get sore after a bit

Any recommendations from other tiers ??

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

never had that problem before...

Normand Guest

i have no idea how you could get cuts on your fingers from tying thread. thread should break before cutting you??

check out the sponsor page for "Fly Tyer's Finger Treatment "
    Last edited by Normand; 10-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.

When my hands get rough I wash them with Paul's ada flybinder goat milk soap. Does wonders.

You must be tying a lot of flies for it to make your hands dry and rough. I usually get rough hands from other types of work and then it messes with my fly tying. I use my wife's hand lotion but can't remember the brand. If I know I'm going to be tying a demo or something, I make sure I keep my hands clean and oiled.

If you get cuts that the thread slides into, try closing them very carefully with superglue. Very carefully being the key words. It's a bugger to get fingers apart!

Default Even Google can't find that one

goat milk soap. I take it that's a joke

Since I don't work out in the weather any longer, I usually don't experience rough, chapped and split skin. When I was younger, I worked for Fish and Game in NH. Back then we always used Bag Balm to keep our hands from getting too rough and chapped or having the skin split from getting our hands wet with snow. Bag Balm is actually intended for cows udders and it works great for preventing what you're describing.

Jim Smith

I used to use BB too,,,,,,,, this FT is nothing like it. Perhaps a thousand times better.

Mic,

Normand and JC aren't kidding (and heavens knows I hate agreeing with JC all the time...*G*)when they say it does what they said. I didn't believe it either but I had to try it and just in case I liked it I bought two so it'd last me awhile. I hate the re-order thing and I have a son who could try it if I didn't go for it.

I still have the 1st little tub (hardly dented) and I should've bought 5!

It's seriously good stuff! A little goes a long way. Use it sparingly!

Jeremy.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10-30-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I do work outside, and hands do get rough. I use Mink Oil, have for years and is the best I've ever used.
    Haven't had any trouble with tying though.

Sometimes I don't even need a dubbing brush lol lol

+ Reply to Thread