Thread: New Update on Son

Threaded View

Default New Update on Son (Changed again)

I have not kept you up on every turn that has gone on since his amputation, but here is where we are after another taking of two more inches off about 6 weeks after the original surgery.

Hi everyone,

Just heard from Randy a few minutes ago and he had the MRI last night and it confirmed the MRSA and the choice he has made instead of 10 days of antibiotics and shaving the bone back (another surgery), he is going to use the Hyperbaric Chamber and each day a home health nurse will go to his house and give him IV antibiotics. This will be everyday for 8 weeks. Like he said they took an additional 2" off last time and it didn't help so unless it's was going to kill him he wanted this method of dealing with the MRSA.

The MRSA has been his trouble the entire time since the amputation and hopefully this will get rid of it and then he will heal properly.

Thank you all for your prayers and support,
    Skip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well it has changed yet again. From yesterday morning until they got so sit down with the Doctor there in Tampa. Why no one did a MRI before now I just don't know. Also why all the Doctors in BAMC missed this is really making me scratch my head. I guess maybe the fact he has a lot of shrapnel in his body would have kept them from wanting to do an MRI, but the Doctor in Tampa did one so just don't know.

The Doctor in Tampa told them yesterday afternoon that his problem is osteomyelitis (infection of bone or bone marrow) and has been a lot of his trouble for a long time. This is why all the pain in his lower left leg when the nerves were dead there. All the way back to his first stay in BAMC he has probably has this and it is why the first two surgeries on his leg didn't heal right.

The real shame is much of his troubles could have been taken care of if they would have just looked for this, but they didn't even when they couldn't tell them why he was having so much trouble all along with healing. Even back when they were looking at nerve graphs they didn't and one reason was they couldn't explain why he had so much pain in his ankle area when the nerve was dead there.

So now it looks like one more surgery for him after some treatment with IV antibiotics.

Thank you all,

Skip
    Last edited by Skip48; 10-31-2008 at 12:45 PM.