+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFO Professional 8 Wt

Hybrid View

Default TFO Professional 8 Wt

I'm looking to expand my fishing horizons to include fishing for Stripers in the "Delta" in Northern Ca. I'm looking to buy an 8 wt rod to throw a shooting head(T-14 or so) to get the flies down into the deeper water.

Since I never have owned a TFO rod, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what they thought of them ?

I'm also looking at going with the Scientific Anglers Wet Tip Express in order to throw one seamless line. I saw JC's review which indicated that they worked well.

Overall, not having thrown shooting heads/sinking lines, not having used fly rods bigger than a 6 wt, and not wanting to invest a huge amount in a rod at this time( just in case I can't cast the heavy lines well or don't get out in the Delta often enough), I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the TFO and Wet Tip Express.

I never tried the 8wt but I got me a 5 wt tfo pro from www.flyshopcloseouts.com under there rod outfit section for a great deal with line backing and orvis reel and all! it casts great! I love it and it have a lifetime warranty! that place has free ship and fast shipping also. I believe they have a 8wt there with fighting butt now. comes with a orvis mid arbor reel I believe and the other comes with a redington reel. . that orvis mid arbor reel is great! the drag is so smooth! I love mine I have one for my custom 7wt.. on my tfo pro I got the orvis rocky mountain reel and that is great too!
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 10-30-2008 at 04:48 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Not sure on the TFO I have an echo 8wt that works well with the lead heads. But whatever you buy look into the t-11 you can throw 27-30' and that gets it at about 300gr (280-310 has worked best for me on all my 8wts)I found the longer length will help you turning loops over a bit smoother. just loop connect the ends and attach it to a running line. But the best way is to experiment. I just started experimenting with them, and there are some on here who have alot more experience than I do. Casting them takes a bit of an adjustment, feels more like a lob. Getting them out of the water to recast takes a bit of practice as well. But, if you want distance it's ridiculous. I have no practical use for them really here on the great lakes, unless I get out on a boat. Other than that I cast them and whisper "holy crap" as massive lengths of running line shoots through the guides..I have heard really great things about the tfo pro but have not cast one. I'm really happy with the echo.
    Janus

Wow,,, the TFO rods are just fine and what I said about the wet-tip express remains true. BUT,,, is there any way possible for you to try ANY??? 8wt rod? And/or any frontloaded flyline? These things are 'different' and you will need a slight learning time. They are not hard,,, just different.

Good comments and advice. Thanks.

I will make an attempt to try a few different rods out prior to purchasing. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to cast some front loaded lines to get the hang of it.

Regards,

Bob

I can't help you with line info but I do own 2 TFO Pro rods. I have a 10' 7 Wt. and a 9' 9 Wt. They are well worth the money. I have not tried the 8 Wt. Based on the 2 that I own---- I like them.

Bob,

The TFO Pro 8wt is a great rod for the money and I know some anglers who prefer it to the faster action TFO models for casting shooting heads all day as in CA delta striper fishing. However, a great many anglers consider a head made from T14 to be a bit heavy for an 8wt and use 28-30 feet of T11 instead. Also, many striper anglers prefer the Streamer Express line with its intermediate running line to the Wet Tip Express with its floating running line. The Streamer Express with its intermediate running line will track deeper during the retreive. It will also sink slightly faster too.

I have a 9ft 8wt TFO pro rod. I love it. Great rod. I have not thrown sinking tips on it yet but the bass bug line on it works great.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

I had the pro 9'6" 8wt and it was, in my opinion, actually a 9wt. It worked fine on Norcal steelhead, even though it was in most cases way too much rod for them. Sold it to Danbob for pike fishing, finally.

All good information. Thanks much.

I was wondering what grain weight line might be appropriate for an 8 wt. I was thinking a T-14 might be too heavy so the feedback on that is great. I have read about the Sreamer Express, but wasn't quite sure that it would be an option.

I'm glad to hear the positive feedback on the TFO's. I was also considering using it for Steelhead fishing.

As was previously suggested I will need to get out and cast a few different rods in order to make a decision. Despite the fact that I could afford a premium rod if I really wanted to, I am compelled at this time to ease into this segment of fishing and the higher rod weights.

One of my objectives at this time is to conserve some cash in the near term(while entering the heavier wt rod market) so that I can spoil my grandaughter a bit and also treat my parents to a little extra when I visit them back in NJ in December.

+ Reply to Thread