+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Hackle Feathers

Hybrid View

Default Soft Hackle Feathers

I've never tied with starling and I guess that's what brings up this question. I see it mentioned often.

How about opinions on what are the pros and cons of various soft hackle feathers ?

And what's your favorite?

Seems to me partridge may be universal but what about the others...grouse...gadwall ...chukar...sage hen...and all the others...
    Last edited by ducksterman; 10-31-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Duck -

I've only used four different soft hackle feathers - partridge, hen hackle, pheasant and starling.

I think partridge has the best markings, for what that is worth, but I find it less than user friendly ( which says more about my tying skills than the partridtge ).

Only used pheasant feathers a few times, and wasn't all that impressed with it. It does the job, but other feathers do as well and are easier to use. You can get some really interesting colors from pheasant, though.

Hen hackle is probably my favorite for a wider range of flies, and for ease of use.

Starling is something new for me. Just started using it since Jeff sent me some of his flies to try out. I really like it on the Water Cricket - just the right feather, lots of movement, and it's easy to tie with. Haven't tried it on anything else, but will probably do some soft hackle pheasant tails and some copper johns with it to see how it works with those flies. Also thinking about adding it to some simple brassies to see if it makes a difference ??

Ought to be an interesting thread. Looking forward to what others have to say about their favorites !!

John
    The fish are always right.

I am usually just using partrige for my softhackles, although i tied some soft hackles with cdc for the feather. I love the added motion and how cdc makes patterns come alive. And the best part was, the trout here in central pa approved. I now tie half of my softhackles with partridge and half with cdc.

I use pheasant, partridge, golden plover, snipe, woodcock, plover, landrail (subs) Dotterel (subs) jackdaw and numerous others. One probably doesn't need a great variety but it sure is fun. Love doing soft hackles.
    Steve

Hi,

I really like starling, especially for smaller patterns. I also like hungarian partridge, which I tie in by the tip as well (usually). Woodcock is another favorite, but it's become hard to find the wings lately (which I prefer over buying bags of feathers). I've started using some grouse feathers and they are very nice. I also picked up some ringneck pheasant wings (both from cocks and hens) and those are good. The green rump feathers, tied in by the tip, make very good soft hackles. I've used "French Partridge" (similar to chuckar) which makes really nice hackle (great patterning). I have some hen saddle hackles. Feathers from the wings of golden pheasant (at the shoulder) are a great sub for woodcock. And, I've used grey feathers from mallard wings, which can be useful.

Basically, I've found useful feathers from a lot of differnet birds can be used for soft hackles, and used well. If I had to choose just one, I would have to go with the hungarian partridge because it has such a wide variety of patternings/markings. I would also probably cry if I had to choose just one! ha!

- Jeff

duck,

You're in for such a wonderful surprise when you talk tying SH's. So many hackles are available to us nowadays and many tiers have their own prefs for many reasons.

I'm not a great tier by any means and have used many of the above mentioned hackles and suggest you perhaps begin your journey with Partridge hackle. It's nicely marked, and obviously works well.

You can experiment with tying in by the stem as many do, using a full hackle feather, stripping off the hackles on one side, tying in by the tips etc. Man, there are so many styles and suggestions that you'll have fun deciding which you like best for yourself with each feather and even fly sizes.

If you get lucky and come across a full Partridge skin that includes the head all cleaned and attached, hang onto it. I did and didn't know what I had until later on in the game. Glad I didn't pitch it...those feathers are great for tiny wets. You'll see. But don't begin with them that small, maybe begin with #14 or #16's or so and go from there, depending on your tying talents.

I got frustrated with tying in Starling at first. I was tying in by the butts and that meant utilizing the longer, finer (read....bloody DELICATE!! ) barbules that are towards the rear of the feather instead of at the tips, as Jeff has shown. I kind of prefer that method now. It depends though.

Experiment. It's fun.

So many choices duckster, so many choices. And they're making some truly fun ties!

Jeremy.

Brahma hen saddles from whiting are awsome. Easy to tye w/ and are a great partridge sub.

Ah!!! My old favourite,
    All the above is good advice, but don't forget
    the domestic hen, Conranch have a lot of excellent
    ahades. Another is the Brahma hen.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face I feel second rate!

You guys sure know how to make a fella feel like a rookie fly tyer. Jackdaw, Scandinavian Screech Owl, Four Toed Flicker. My gosh, I love soft hackles too but mine are pretty much limited to hen hackle, in fact, Indian hen hackle at that. I've developed a total inferiority complex even though I do use Hungarian Partridge once in awhile. I'm going to go sit in a corner and feel sorry for myself. 8T

Usually whatever feather I grab first. I have several different skins and just ake a feather off and tie it on.
    Idon't follow patterns very well. (MY wife says I don't behave either)

Rick

+ Reply to Thread