+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ELKHORN BAMBOO Project and Challenge

Hybrid View

Exclamation ELKHORN BAMBOO Project and Challenge

Just put in an order with Brian at ELKHORN FLY RODS for an 8' for 5 wt Bamboo Rod and reel seat with wood insert. Expect to receive the blank and reel seat in a couple weeks, at the outside. Then I can make the decisions on the rest of the components, to include, most likely, a custom grip by Smernsky ?? That is the PROJECT part of it.

The CHALLENGE part of it is to use this rod EXCLUSIVELY during 2009. That will involve well over 100 days of fishing streams and rivers, and a few mountain lakes. The streams range from very small spring creeks to medium size mountain freestone streams. The rivers will include such as the Big Lost, the South Fork of the Snake and the Henry's Fork, the Greys River ( WY ) and a few others in the SE Idaho / SW Montana / Western Wyoming region, and the Selway and Lochsa Rivers at the Idaho Fish In.

The CHALLENGE part of it includes fishing flies from small dries to large weighted stonefly nymphs to medium sized streamers on the variety of water described above, for trout ranging from small brookies to cutts, bows and browns in the 20" plus range, all with a single rod.

I'm really excited about getting started on the build, and looking forward to the challenge.

John
    The fish are always right.

Hard to believe,,, exactly the rod blank he is giving away next month on here. Be sure to sign up.
    Oh,,, this is not the first one has given away on here,,, ask Betty!
    They are just dandy rods.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Hard to believe,,, exactly the rod blank he is giving away next month on here. Be sure to sign up.
    Oh,,, this is not the first one has given away on here,,, ask Betty!
    They are just dandy rods.
    JC -

Brian mentioned that to me when I talked to him this morning. Also, I consulted with Betty before I made the decision to go with bamboo and with Elkhorn, specifically.

John

P.S. I've had some experience with the monthly drawing and Elkhorn - I won the 14' for 8/9 6 piece two handed rod that Elkhorn put up for the April drawing. I figured my chances of winning twice in a year ( or a lifetime !! ) were pretty slim so I just went ahead with the deal I had in mind.

Smile

Joni -

Interesting coincidence !!

Yes, the Elkhorn is a two piece with two tips.

The blank will be blond, but I am not sure what the reel seat insert will be. Perhaps I will decide to use one other than the one Brian is sending ?? Either way, I'll wait til I get the blank and seat to decide on thread color and whether to go with single foot or double foot guides. Right now I am thinking double foot guides with wrapping in the carmel to garnet range ??

This rod is intended to be a workhorse. Nothing fancy. Just comfortable and functional. I'm committed to living with it ( or dying by it ) for a full year !!

Utah didn't occur to me when I was planning 2009, but I may well get in some time down there also.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Joni -

Interesting coincidence !!

Yes, the Elkhorn is a two piece with two tips.

The blank will be blond, but I am not sure what the reel seat insert will be. Perhaps I will decide to use one other than the one Brian is sending ?? Either way, I'll wait til I get the blank and seat to decide on thread color and whether to go with single foot or double foot guides. Right now I am thinking double foot guides with wrapping in the carmel to garnet range ??

This rod is intended to be a workhorse. Nothing fancy. Just comfortable and functional. I'm committed to living with it ( or dying by it ) for a full year !!

Utah didn't occur to me when I was planning 2009, but I may well get in some time down there also.

John

CALL ME....WAHOO!

What drawing are you all talking about?

Dave

Right on John. I am having my Blank built as we speak. A well known rod builder is making me an 8' 5 weight with the idea of a Payne 98 or 101 taper.
    All but the bamboo will be 100% USA made.
    I want to get the blank first, and I can't remember if I told him flamed, but either way it will be awesome I know, then I will pick a cool reel seat for it.
    I was toying the idea of single foot, but I am sure I will go with snake. I want an awesome stripping guide also.
    Right now, I am going with Green thread, but that might change also.

Can't wait to hear your progress. We could end up working on these around the same time.

My challenge is going to include STILLWATERS. I have no doubt this rod will be fine for all the rivers mentioned plus a few here in Utah. ALL IN THE PLAYING.

Did you get an extra tip?

As far as big bugs, I don't weight mine anyway and I prefer a full sink over split shot or sink tips, so I am up for my challenge. Been fishing Glass for awhile also.

John; I am intrigued with the idea of your challenge. Fishing a full season committed to only one rod. What a great way to learn the characteristics of your new bamboo rod. I am thinking of doing it myself using my just finished 4 weight. I won't get anywhere near 100 days on the water though. If I decide to go for it, maybe we could meet up at the Idaho fish in next fall and compare notes.
    Shaky;

Joni, My bad, he did say 5 wgt. Still a great challenge.

John, If you decide on the Jasper and have trouble finding it, I happen to have a couple spools I'd donate to a worthy cause.

Shaky, Stop by the Idaho Fish-in in '09 and compare notes with everyone. Be nice to put a face to the name.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Question Thread Color

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    ...John, If you decide on the Jasper and have trouble finding it, I happen to have a couple spools I'd donate to a worthy cause....REE
    Ron -

Might just take you up on that. Before I make a final decision on thread color, I need to see the reel seat, in particular. Right now I'm inclined to Pearsal's dark claret, which is a bit darker than garnet. Will have a pretty good idea of which way I'm going by the middle of the week.

Appreciate the offer.

John

+ Reply to Thread