+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: ELKHORN BAMBOO Project and Challenge

I agree with JC. You will be loosing an inch maybe. I would put a new Tip Top on it. My Lami broke in about the same place (car door) and I bought a longer tip top and lost about 1/2" in overall length. Don't notice any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I agree with JC. You will be loosing an inch maybe. I would put a new Tip Top on it. My Lami broke in about the same place (car door) and I bought a longer tip top and lost about 1/2" in overall length. Don't notice any difference.
    Joni -

As soon as I realized what had happened, I was thinking in those terms.

The thing is, I have only fished this tip about TEN times. It wasn't broken in a car door, or pulling on a snagged fly, certainly not damaged by being nicked with a beadhead, or whatever - it broke while casting in what were not all that unfavorable conditions.

I just think I owe it to Elkhorn to give them the opportunity to do what they think is right.

I also owe it to the people who might be inclined to buy 'boo, and Elkhorn specificially, because of the way I have reported the very positive aspects of my experience with the rod and the Company, to tell them what Elkhorn will do in a situation where a virtually new tip breaks while fishing from a fishing related act.

John
    The fish are always right.

john
    this could happen sometime before if you nicked the blank. if while casting big flies one came back and hit the blank. several reasons. again just like everyone stated just put the tiptop back on and go you didn't lose enough of the rod to hinder it. you shouldn't even notice a difference

John I understand totally what you are saying. I have the same problem with TFO. My rod has broke twice about 4" up from the last ferrule. I side cast so nothing ever clips the rod.
    I will also ad, my brother has an Elkhorn plastic rod. 3 Weight. we were fishing it one winter and the tip of his broke also. BUT, there was ice it the guides and that little flick to get the line out caused that...because the line was stuck in the tip top ice.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 03-15-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Red face

Someone asked recently in a PM what happened when I contacted Elkhorn about the broken tip and the warranty. Thought I had posted something about that, but obviously not.

Brian was of the opinion that it would probably be impossible to determine whether the breakage was from a flaw in the blank ( covered by the warranty ) or accidental ( not covered ). However, he did express a willingness to work something out, as a matter of customer service, if I insisted.

That was good enough for me. I didn't insist. There really was no way that I would "waste" the broken tip section knowing that a simple repair at home would almost certainly make it as good as new.

I did finally get around to finishing the repair. I had replaced the tip top shortly after I talked to Brian, but I didn't get around to wrapping it and applying the first two coats of varnish until yesterday. Will apply an additional coat of varnish later today.

While I am at it, here's an update, beyond the information posted as a part of the '09 Elkhorn Challenge thread on the Fishing Reports Forum.

First, the tip section that I have been using has developed a noticeable bend to it, but not along the flat where the guides are located. The bend is most noticeable with the guides pointed down, at which time the curve is to the right side. I've read some about bamboo taking a set for various reasons and the cure for the curve. Not ready to try a remedy yet. The bend does not affect casting or catching. If and when it does, or at the end of the year, I'll bone up on the remedies I've read and try one of them.

Second, the ferrule on the section I am using is a bit more "worn" that I would have expected. Not bad, just a bit loose. Something to pay attention to over the course of a day fishing. That may well have resulted from some playing around I did with another male ferrule when I was considering making a shorter butt section for the rod so I would have a 6' back up to the original 8' rod.

Third, the last couple times out, I've been using a DT3F line ( the rod is rated 5 wt ). I have been surprised at how well the rod handles a line that light. It isn't quite as smooth casting with the 3 as it is with the 5, and it actually takes more work to cast the 3, but it does point out the "flexibility" of bamboo ( no pun intended ). When I get the chance, I'll try a DT4F. I think that might be a dynamite combination, maybe better than the 5 ??

Finally, I took a while getting around to the repair because I also wanted to replace one of the snake guides which was damaged in a moment of carelessness. It was a bit intimidating, since I had not tried to strip a varnished silk wrapping before, and it took me a while to get past that. IT WAS A BREEZE. A slice with a razor blade along the side of the snake guide foot and the wrap just peeled off. I had to do the new wrap a couple times because I was a bit rusty, but the second time was a charm. Looks just fine.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread