+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders/boots?

Default Waders/boots?

I am looking to purchase my first pair of breathable stockingfoot waders/boots, and have a budget of approximately $250. It seems that Simms, Cabelas, and LL Bean all have good customer service/quality/guarantee. Ideally it would be nice to try them on especially the boots, but the only shops locally are a Gander Mountain as well as an Orvis dealer. LL Bean currently has a promotion were they are giving one $10 coupon per day for $50 or more spent. So the Emerger Waders/Boots could be bought for $150, and would receive $20 worth of coupons. Also, Korkers seem like they would be nice having the benefit of being able to replace soles depending on need. Any input on waders and boots would be appreciated.

Ron
    Last edited by RJD31; 10-27-2008 at 08:35 PM.

I know you have a budget. But don't skimp.

I used to do that, bought some mediocre equipment. It served it's purpose. Well, I bought a pair of Simms g3's as a gift to myself for my b-day. They have kept me on the river longer and more comfortable than any other waders I have ever worn. I am not saying simms is the only good waders, just be sure to get a quality product. There are a bunch of good makes out there and I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions from the people on here. For the boots, try on a number of them with your fishing socks and waders on. I have small wide feet (another reason i got simms for the custom booties) so it was a problem finding comfortable boots. I ended up with the korker guide boot, and again have had no regrets with the extra money. They fit perfectly for me, but won't for everyone. A good fitting boot is not only more comfortable, but much safer as well. Spend the time and try on more than a couple until you have a form fit. Good Luck with your search.

I swear by Simm's. Best waders i've ever used.

It certainly would be ideal to have access to a place like Cabelas that was a reasonable driving distance to try on and compare various waders/boots, but unfortunately I am stuck with ordering online. The Orvis dealer mentioned in the original post is the closest place to actually go, but not really a big fan of their products as far as the last few years are concerned. So I need to purchase from a source that has a good guarantee, customer service, as well as flexible return policy that is one of the reasons why I mentioned LL Bean. The $250 budget isn't set in stone, but figured roughly $150 for waders as well as less than $100 for boots should be a reasonable starting point. Thanks for your input.

Ron
    Last edited by RJD31; 10-28-2008 at 12:32 AM.

You seem to be on the right track as far as I can see!

My 2c would be to buy the best boots you can. I skimped for a few years thinking that I was saving money, and you are not. Get the best. Also, I have not seen anything like wading boots that varies as much in sizing. Some brands, or even models within brands are sized to include the neo wader boot and some are not. I know cabelas and beans will happily exchange but ask them first based on your selection of waders and usual foot size.

Re Korkers, I am not a great fan. Some people find the soles can pop off in certain situations. I have simms aquastealth with studs as felt soles are now banned in New Zealand, and these are great.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Blog Entries

Default Imho

Hodgeman waders--i'm tough on them and they stand up to me. they're comfortable. they don't cost the earth

from

Kodiak Outback--very excellent customer service. good web site.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Default L L Bean boots

I have a new pair of LL Bean felt soled hip boots in the "Things for Sale" forum. They are size 10M. If they do the trick for you all I'm asking for is a reasonable offer.

I highly suggest that you drop the extra money and get a breathable wader. Simms L2 waders run 249.95. They are Gore and have everything you need. Simms has a 30 day no questions asked return policy (pretty sure) and should you dislike the fit, decide you hate goretex, or just want to screw with them, you can send them back. Their repair team and prices are wonderful. i fished with a gentleman that had a 5 year old pair of Guide waders that started to leak after about 1000 days on the river. He sent them in and for 50 dollars they re-taped the entire pair of waders and told him that his neoprene feet were wearing out and replaced them without additional cost.

Also, I would avoid felt soles as much as possible. There is an article this week about New Zealand eliminating felt soles from the country to prevent contaminant spread and it is in the works here. There are some really good rubber soles out or coming out that perform almost as well as felt (I have heard that some rubber soles might out-perform felt, but I remain skeptical).

I always enjoy reading threads about best value for my hard earned dollar. When I read threads by knowledgeable people two brands seem to be at the top over and over. Simms and Dan Bailey's. Now having said that I have worn a pair or relatively inexpensive Orvis Waders for over two years. I made the 57th entry into my log this season on my last outting so the while many fish more than I, the waders are not just hanging in the closet. There are some great deals out there right now during the silly season or the end of the season sales. I sent you a pm.

Rick

Default Sale!

I believe Orvis' website still has the discontinued Pro Guide2 waders - were $289, now $179. I have had a pair since Spring and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. They have actual belt loops, so ypu can fold them down and make hip waders. Very comfortable (a little stiffer than other waders) and they seem to be well-made and tough. I have had other Orvis waders and their service has been great! The Silver label2's are also on sale - from $189 to $149. If possible, go with the Pro Guides.

I have the older style of Korkers and they work great. Google Korkers Wetlands Wading Boots and you can find them - in the $0-50 range.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread