Thread: Felt banning

Threaded View

The responsible thing to do is NOT fish in infested waters, PERIOD!

If putting the resource ahead of your pleasure is too radical for you; spring for complete multiple sets of EVERYTHING that comes in contact with the water.

Read the research; felt is only a percentage of the total hiding places that invasives can use. Now take a GOOD look at the rest of your equipment and think really hard if 50% effective is really going to make as big a difference as the rubber sole advocates want us to believe. Should we ban wading socks and wet wading pants next? How about breathable fabric or neoprene? At least one study has implicated neoprene as equally as BAD although easier to effectively clean and dry.

If I was to scrub down all of my applicable gear in mid summer when I wet wade, I would have to clean EVERYTHING that could harbor the bad stuff. That list would include:
    • Wading shoes INCLUDING all the nooks and crannies beside the felt like the tongue, insoles and inside of gussets that drain the water, etc.
    • Wading socks
    • Neoprene booties
    • Wet wading pants
    • Belt
    • Underwear, (I do wade deep sometimes )
    • Fishing shirt, (again when I wade deep)
    • Furled leaders
    • Flies
    • Wading staff
    • Fly line and other tackle
    Did I forget anything?

Now mind you, many of the scrubbing routines recommend complete drying before reuse for 100% effectiveness. So tell me honestly; on those days or weekends when you fish two or more creeks does anyone out there really expect me to believe that you check, clean and dry ALL of your stuff between watersheds? Or do you just clean your felt-less wading shoes and pat yourself on the back for being so responsible? How about those who like to backpack and fish multiple streams; far from cars, 409 bottles or cleaning stations. Are you bringing along extra wading gear, your cleaning supplies or just crossing your fingers?

I wonder who offers the most vectors; five felt-less fellows who don't take the time to clean as fastidiously as five felted fellows who do; because they feel they have to.

If you really do go for the gusto and clean 100% of your gear after each and every time you fish your problem is solved because it will take you so long to clean ALL of the contributing vectors effectively that you won't have time to fish anyplace else.

What about just limiting your fishing and gear to infested waters?? If there is Didymo downstream do you move upstream in the same watershed with the same gear? If you do; don't you think you are spreading the problem faster than it would spread naturally in an infested stream or isn't that a problem to you; spoiled goods and all.

Another issue with felt replacements is cost. Aquastealth is far from the least expensive sole option out there. I understand Vibram has something new on the horizon but Vibram has always been expensive. So where does that leave the angler on a budget; the guy who wouldn't or couldn't dream of a $100+ pair of wading shoes? If he has a conscious will he have to opt for cheaper and less grippy alternatives at the risk of breaking his neck, or will he be bullied and humiliated by the "concerned" anglers into spending money he doesn't have on a 50% solution; for the good of the fish.

Maybe since any felt ban would be mandated by government; we need a coupon program like is in place for digital TV conversion. A $40 coupon for each household for a new pair of $175 Simms! In the mean time; Simms, the advocates and TU should pony up to help those who want to do their part but find it hard to justify spending that kind of dough on something that doesn't guarantee success. I mean; you do want as much involvement as possible, right?

I don't doubt that felt is a contributor but so is a lot of other stuff and that's where these bans fall short on results but long on fuzzy feelings. Felt is a convenient villain in this battle just like SUV's and plastic supermarket bags are in others.

What annoys me the most is this ban banter is just another way for the worried folks to get their knickers in a knot over the felt wearers perceived lack of concern. Will the new rubber soled wading shoes come with green bottoms and include a giant embroidered patch of the Earth that you can sew on your fishing vest to let the rest of the anglers know that you are "concerned"; or will you just periodically lift your shoes in an "silly walk" to show the rest of us your choice of sole material.

In defense of the felt wearers I ask that until you examine the places they fish, their surefootedness or lack thereof or how or whether they clean their gear; save the scorn for somebody else; this sport is already full up to its eyeballs with upturned noses.

I will continue wearing felt until something better comes along. I've tried it all and so far felt wins where I fish. I know regardless of sole choice it's impossible and impractical to clean all of my gear effectively between watersheds in the same day/weekend and I won't attempt to fool myself into believing it is. I always clean my gear after a trip and I always have but I know that no amount of cleaning is 100% and "good enough" isn't enough.

So for me and my big mouth; long ago I made the decision to not fish where the bad stuff lives; anything less is a bit hypocritical in my book.

Sorry for the rant...

...sort of.

Last edited by Bamboozle; 10-28-2008 at 11:43 AM.