+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fenwick Glass Rods ???

Hybrid View

Default Fenwick Glass Rods ???

Humm, while looking at some 6 wt line on the 'bay, I came across a Fenwick Glass rod in 6wt.

I am starting to realize that faster rods are probably not "my thing", seems my casting stroke is on the slow side after watching others cast.

Thinking of a glass rod and wonder about the Fenwicks...looks to be from the late 70's-early 80's.

Could I build one similar?

Yup, the season for me is over so it is time to ponder gear.

Check out the fiberglassflyrodders board for tons of info on glass rods. Also a good place to buy one.

Dave

The first fly rod I ever had was a 6 wt. Fenwick glass rod. I miss it. Gave it away to a friends son to learn on. Hope he passes it on to his son.

Godspeed,

Bob

My girlfriend has a 6wt 7ft fenwick glass. Its the most magical casting rod I have ever had in my hand. i like it better than my winston. Im gonna get me one.

Default Fenwick

I use mine often and it's very versatile. It's a 5wt 8.5 2pc and boy am I glad it din't sell last time I listed it. I have a 7wt wff on it...one of the Green Mt. lines...loads the rod everywhere and turns over a 10ft furled/knotted/looped leader combo like nothing and that's with a #4 orange stimulator. Lands big trout and bass like a 7wt, casts delicate enough for #16 dries on 5x....I could go on and on !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Brhoff:

Take Dave Potts' advice and peruse the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum. I was late to the fiberglass game having only discovered its pleasures in the last few years. I now own almost as many glass rods as graphite or bamboo and I find I fish them more than anything for the same reason you are considering them: action.

There is a rod building forum there as well and I'm sure the guys there can direct you to available blanks to get you going. Make sure to ask questions about actions because there are different actions in glass too.

Also don't ignore our own FAOL Rod Building Forum. There are at least two threads going on right now regarding glass rods. I'm sure there is lots of help available there too.

Have fun!

brhoff,
    Here are a couple of local links for you to ponder. The first link shows me casting an old Fenwick FF755. That's a 7 1/2' 5 weight. I'm throwing a WF6F and it handles that line just fine.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24058

The second link shows the build of a 7 1/2' Lamiglas 4 weight Honey colored blank. I haven't had the pleasure of fishing this rod yet.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24006

Be careful is my only advise. These are really nice sticks.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The first fly rod I built was on a Fenwick FFL96-6 blank (8' 6wt) back in the 70s. This past winter I "discovered" the rod in a corner in the basement. The guides were falling off, it looked like I used some sort of varnish. I replaced the guides over the winter and started using it this year. What a blast! Nice easy casting with a DT6F line. The highpoint was catching my first ever "fly rod" carp with it.

IMGP0655sm.jpg

The early (70s) glass Fenwicks were slow dreamin' delights. I built a couple for my boys and one 9' for 8 wt bruiser that is still one of the most pwerful rods I've ever used. (Second son has it.) I recently built a later Fenwick (Woodstream) and it is faster and not nearly so polite as the earlier rods. I have searched for early blanks without success.

Default Goodbye graphite?

Maybe the fad is over.

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread