+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Dubbing Loop Technique

Hybrid View

Smile A Dubbing Loop Technique

A DUBBING LOOP TECHNIQUE

This is a refinement of some of the more historic methods of dubbing with the loop methods but I have found that works, and, after trying a few trials, is easily mastered by the beginners in my classes. I don?t have photos available so my text may seem overly detailed.

1. Starting with the thread at the point where you want to start dubbing, extend the bobbin about 8 inches from the hook shank and let it hang there.
    2. Attach an EZ clip type hackle pliers to the thread about 3 inches below the hook shank an let it hang loose for now..
    3. Prepare your dubbing noodle by spreading the material out on your bench top.
    4. Pick up your bobbin with your right hand and lift it towards you with modest thread tension.
    5. Now, place your left hand, palm up under the taut thread with the EZ clip hanging between your index and ring finger and let the bobbin hang loose over the side of your little finger (toward your body). Maintain tension on the thread between the EZ clip and the hook by pinching the EZ clip as it hangs between your fingers.
    6. Now the best part. Pick up the piece of dubbing and lay it across the thread lying on the PLATFORM you have created with your index and middle fingers.
    7. Pick up your bobbin, lay the thread up and over the piece of dubbing keeping the thread tension the same as the thread under the dubbing and make a couple thread turns around the hook shank and lead the thread up to the hook eye.
    8. Finally, pickup the EZ clip and maintaining slight tension, twirl it counter-clockwise looking from the clip toward the hook shank (for right handers).
    Finish your dubbing wrap as usual.

Ray,
    It seems to me this is a valued contribution...worth getting into the "Features" section somewhere...maybe under "Tips".

How about photos while one of your students does the work...or maybe a student does photos while you do it...then submit it....

Your statement that your students take to it says alot.

Ray,

Thanks so much for sharing that! I will have to give it a try tonight at my tying bench. It really sounds like it will help with the dubbing loop technique.

Thanks again...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Wow, that sounds like a great technique for those materials which don't want to adhere to thread.
    Support The Troops; Sign Up at AdoptaPlatoon.org

Photos or a video would complete the article.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

As Ray explained, the dubbing loop is a useful technique to master.

Flytying is about choices, so here is another offering in the same vein - the Split Thread - as part of a step by step I put together recently.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/.../buttercup.htm

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

+ Reply to Thread