Hi,

Just thought there might be some interest in this year's gathering of cane rodmakers on the Penobscot River in Maine so I'll post a few of the highlights.

The Penobscot, as you may already know, had a record run of Atlantic salmon this year, 2,000+ (still a far cry from the 100's of thousands in the past, but twice last year). Within only a few more years, though, 800 miles of spawning tributaries will be open with dam removal, and that may help. There's always hope.

Anyway, about 20 rodmakers and cane enthusiasts attended. The most senior was Arthur Taylor, probably known more for his artwork but a octagenerian rodmaker, too. Steve Campbell, who owns the FE Thomas name now, was there off and on, and Jerry Girard brought four tables of rodmaking history (letterheads, classic rods, etc) up from Pennsylvania. David Van Burgel and Dave Endicott lead a discussion on finishing. Don Wilson talked about woods used for rods. Henry Mitchell demonstrated putting a loop on a hollow line (it isn't all rodmaking). We celebrated my new book and birthday at the same time, this group being much like family. Then, on Sunday, most went up to fish the East Outlet of the Kennebec at Moosehead Lake for brook trout and landlocked salmon, but David and I tended the ever-waiting woodpile , still fun on a October day.

The next gathering for us will be in May on the Grand River near Toronto. If you are a cane rodmaker or are thinking about joining the madness, it's something to consider.

Kat