+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish are Still Biting

Default Fish are Still Biting

Took my usual Thursday night fishing down to my favorite and only municipal lake. I thought the fishing would be dead with the cold rain we had the other day and yesterday evening wasn't that nice either. When I got down to the lake I noticed it had risen a few inches and some coots were feeding out on the water; wind wasn't too bad either. So I walked down to a spot near some green cattails that had been productive several days earlier.
    I cast out a chartruse wooly bugger but no dice. I stuck with that spot about 20 minutes with the same results. No fish. I moved on to another spot a little further down the shore and tried there. Again no results. Time for a change. I tied on a small size 12 epoxy minnow and began casting. Was that a tug by a fish or some weeds? I couldn't tell so I moved back to my orginal spot and began casting. After a few minutes sweet sucess.
    I got three nice bluegills there and wanted to try my second spot again. Got two there. Light was fading fast so I went home a happy fisherman.

A friend and I are headed to the Elk River in SW Missouri tomorrow. Hoping the smallies and panfish are still biting. If not, the scenery should be great.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Most people don't understand bluegills

Hi Cycler,

Your afternoon of fishing just shows that bluegills and most of the other panfish can be just as selective as trout when it comes to taking a fly (in fact, more selective than free-stone, fast-water trout). The little guys, sure, they'll take anything but the big guys, can be tough and if you don't have the right fly on and refuse to experiment, the afternoon will be a wash. Good job! 8T

You should be able to catch good bluegills right up to ice up. My fishing partner and I don't quit fly fishing for bluegills untill we can't launch the boat. Use small (#12 and smaller) wet flies and long leaders. I sometimes use a level 2 pound test leader up to 18 feet long. Anybody can catch nich bluegills when they are on the beds in the spring. You need to be a bit more savy th catch them consistantly late in the year and into winter.

fishbum

Thanks for your kind words 8T.
    Fishbum, thanks for the tip on how to keep on catching until ice up. Last year I had a miserable time trying to catch late season anything. I can remember only once occasion where I got a couple of nice bass but most of the time if I got anything it was a few tiny bass or a small bluegill or two. This year it's been much, much better. I attribute that to better applying advice I've read in books and magazines and, of course, here. Books and magazines are nice but for advice about fishing problems and getting it just when you need this bulletin board is excellent.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Question for fishbum

Hi FB,

When you say that you can catch bluegills into winter, are you including BIG reservoir-type lakes? When the weather turns really cold on the big lakes, the blue gills head for deeper water and are very hard to find. Even if you could reach them with a fly, you would still have to find them first. I've always said that big lake fishing is some of the hardest you will find anywhere for a consistent catch. BTW, this is intended as a very friendly question. If you can consistently catch brim into winter on a large reservoir, I want to become your very best friend and fish with you a regularly. 8T

cycler68,

You did well indeed! I think it was Dave Whitlock who said something to the effect of anyone can take the average 'gill on most summer days but those larger guys can be just as finicky as a lot of good trout! Congrats on your efforts.

Fishbum, I'll echo what 8T said too. And I'm listening... I"ve always had utmost respect for the fellow who can take nice gill sin less than "normal" conditions.

Same goes for the fisherman who targets and consistently takes some good crappies in our northern-most lakes in mid summer. I've tried and failed. It's good to talk to those boys at the dock. Most don't fly fish and freely offer helpful info. They typically fish deeper too.

Jeremy.

I admit I've been struggling somewhat to catch fish. But, I keep trying!

Amidst shuttling my kids around last night, I stopped by a local public pond and fly-fished for a bit between 6:30pm and 7pm. It got dark fast! I finally had to give up when the line guides on my fly rod finally iced shut!!

I used a fly I had tied up that looked very simlar to a dragonfly nymph. I caught 2 nice crappies (biggest was 12"), and a nice bluegill (I'd guess at least 8.5"). There was some big splashes around the pond, mostly out in the middle. Not sure what it was, could've been catfish, but there are some carp and grass carp in the pond, so it could've been those, too.

Here's the 12" crappie...yes, once again my cell phone takes horrible pictures, and I'd left my digital camera at home. :icon_shaking2:

That's the Albright A-5 rod and Albright Bugatti reel I'd bought earlier this year.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

With the sudden cold snap here in KY, they've pretty much turned off. Unless we have a few warmer days with some sun, I think it's about over in this neck of the woods.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread