+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to perform a high backcast

Hybrid View

Question How to perform a high backcast

In a recent article by Ladyfisher http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ldy/ldy100608.php she talks about using a high backcast and there is also a picture showing her perfroming the cast. Some streams I fish have high banks on both sides where this cast would be good to know. LF or others can you please describe how to perform the cast?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Let Tim from Tighlines Fly Shop in Wisconsin show you how to make a steeple casts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSKa...eature=related

Rick

Or save yourself a lot of time listening to Tim chat and just stop your rod sooner on your back cast.

Thanks for the info. This Saturday I am going to the casting ponds to practice that cast. I sure wish I asked this question a few weeks ago. I spent an entire day roll casting. Not a bad cast to know, but it would have been nice to be able to mix it up a bit.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Important casting rule #2

The line goes where you point the rod

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I learned it as a matter of necessity fishing on tight mountain streams. The line would be torqued on pick up and I'd aim the rod at an overhead break in the foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Thanks for the info. This Saturday I am going to the casting ponds to practice that cast. I sure wish I asked this question a few weeks ago. I spent an entire day roll casting. Not a bad cast to know, but it would have been nice to be able to mix it up a bit.
    JC just told you all you need to know. Period!

Now, if yer like me (pay great attention, practice a lot, read tons, practice more... but somehow can't get past some likely inbred stubborness) you'll benefit from having a friend (spouses don't work, you'll end up getting pissy w/each other...trust me...) come out.

They can hold their arms out across your casting plane to keep you from waving that stick around too much. It works. You'll be surprised at how soon you have to stop!

But you might not be as dense as I am......

One guarantee...you'll be surprised!!!! Old habits are a pain.

Jeremy.

IMHO, to make a high back cast, keep your casting elbow close to your body, so that at the end of your back cast your elbow points out about degrees from the target.
    Randy

Also make sure your right foot - assuming you're right-handed - isn't too far behind your left. (If it is you'll have trouble making an abrupt stop.) You can use a closed stance: your right foot in front of your left.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    In a recent article by Ladyfisher http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ldy/ldy100608.php she talks about using a high backcast and there is also a picture showing her perfroming the cast. Some streams I fish have high banks on both sides where this cast would be good to know. LF or others can you please describe how to perform the cast?
    You bring up my favorite part of our sport, the polished casts.

Be happy to explain how I do it anyway.. ( Certainty with no periods or all you need to knows, lol. there are many great ways to learn )

Mel Krieger stated it best with what he said about starting any cast "hold the rod as if you are holding a small bird",
    meaning of course ever so gently..

I assume you can throw your basic casts reasonable well in any stance
    that you would be faced with at stream side. Sometimes even on rocky uneven sloped
    narrow banks where this type of cast is very useful. Rip Rap ect...
    You should be able to cast on one foot, you might need to.....

... anyway;

I like to start the hi back-cast with the reel on top in the inverted position. It allows me a bit more wrist control..

I lift the rod tip with a high swing up darn near vertically in front of me to a crisp stop, and then I sweep the forward cast
    downward while flipping the reel back to it's normal position, at the same time bringing the rod tip right down to water level,
    finishing out the cast with another crisp stop, and an ever so gentle touchdown...

Lady fishers photographs are worth one thousand words.. She sure throws a nice cast...
    You can tell she is an accomplished caster, her stance is not of any concern to her
    she is a natural at exacting the hi back cast.. in my view of course...

The Lady fisher summed it up best in an old post of hers that I recollect from time to time:
    There are a couple of things which fly casting should be. Effective and fun.
    Unfortunately for many it isn't either and the frustration level makes the whole experience considerably less than it can be.
    Casting should be totally automatic. Put the cast where it needs to be - regardless of position, wind, overhead trees, brush and so on.
    If you can't do that, you need to work on your casting.
    The only way to do that is by practice - and by practicing the right things. Once it is
    "in there" it will become automatic - effective and fun!
    ------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL
    The hi back cast is so sweet and simple with some practice..

Steve Molcsan
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 10-26-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: To add LF relevant comments from an old 2005 post.

+ Reply to Thread