+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help starting a fly-tying / fishing club...

Default Help starting a fly-tying / fishing club...

Hi All,

Over the years, many of my grade eight students have asked me to show them how to tie flies, or take them fishing. I have, in the past, been able to teach a few how to tie a wooly bugger, but rarely have we gotten past that (due to a lack of equipment and materials).

This year, a friend and I have decided to start a fly-tying and fly-fishing club for kids 12 - 18. I can use my classroom to teach fly tying, and the gym to teach students how to cast. When spring comes, we can take kids to the local river and creeks to fish for trout and bass (once the season opens)and to Ontario's Grand River to fish for browns. I also have a contact at the Ministry of Natural Resources who will set up stream projects in which the students may participate.

Has anyone out there had experience with setting up such a program. If so, any adivce would be appreciated. I'd like to make this a free service, but have also thought of charging participants enough money so that each student could recieve his/her own vise, tying tools, materials to make 10 of each fly (12 flies learned in total), and a rod and reel combo complete with line, leader, and backing (local service clubs might be able to sponsor a child who otherwise could not afford to participate). Let me make this clear, this is a non-profit endeavour.

As always, your help and advice is appreciated.

Andrew

I suggest you start here:
    [url=http://www.fedflyfishers.org/begin.php:09ec8]http://www.fedflyfishers.org/begin.php[/url:09ec8]

Check out the "Education" tab and the "About" tab under Charters

------------------
    Joe

Andrew;
    Now I know where to send 2 of my "Store Bought" rods as I intend to fish only the ones I've built.
    Scientific Anglers is a great supporter of this type of activity, give them a heads up.
    Kathy Scott has also done this in her high school in Maine. If I remember right she got support from Orvis with demo rods.
    If you check my "Eagle Village Fish-In"
    in "Readers Casts" you'll understand how I feel about what you are trying to do. You've got my full support!
    P.S. You should make the 2006 Fish-In on the AuSable!!

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 12 October 2005).]

Jack,

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I truly hope that there will be some corporate and community support for this program. We need our kids to get active, to get outdoors, and to enjoy the beauty that abounds in nature. And what better way for kids to enjoy nature than standing mid-stream with a fly rod?

Thanks again.

Andrew... we have one here in Arkansas in a high school that was started by a gentleman from this board before he passed away. You can't imagine the support that the companies will give you. They know that the youth are the future of this sport and they have no problems taking care of them. The faculty advisor of the Arkansas club is the school band director and one of his practice rooms are stacked full of goodies. There are donated rods and reel combos, supplies, vises and on and on. The kids elected their own officers and decided on a GPA that must be maintained or they are out of the club. Unfortunately, there were 2 or 3 of them that found out the hard way on the GPA. I wish you all the luck in the world with this most worthwhile project.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Andrew check your email. I think I can help---

------------------

Bill

Andrew - you've got mail.

Andrew,

The one person who I can point you too is on another board. You can get hold of him at [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com.:824be]www.flyfishingarkansas.com.[/url:824be] His forum name is fish. Marc Oakes is his name and he and another fellow started a fly fishing club at Cotter High School in Cotter, Arkansas about a year ago. It has been a great success. He has some support from his local club, and a lot of support from the folks on the arkansas fly fishing board. I'm sure he would have some great tips for you and advice to help you get off on the right foot.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

You may also want to get in touch with Family Tyes. They have a program to do the same things you are talking about.

I have sent you an email with a specific email address for Frank Kuhn who has had a very successful high school club in Southern California for quite a number of years. For viewers wishing to learn more they can send an email to:arroyoflyfishers@yahoo.com. There are so many local clubs willing to support such an effort, the limitation as always is to find someone to spearhead the effort. Best wishes for your success.

------------------

+ Reply to Thread