Thread: Fly Remover

Threaded View

Default Fly Remover

if ya caint find a hook remover ya like, ya can make one like i did for free or almost free... the one i made removes any size 2 down to sizes 22 without harming the fly any... all ya need is a nail, hammer, drill & something to make the handle out of ((can use a short length of dowel rod, ballpoint pen, or whatever))... i used a peice of bamboo flyrod 3 1/4" long for my handle and a 3" concrete nail for the hook remover....
    heres how...
    get the nail & cut off the head & flatten that end with a hammer... drill a 1/8" hole or smaller through the center of the flattened end of the nail then cut a slot in the side up to the hole... next make the handle for the hook remover & drill a hole in one end about 1/4" deep... put in a drop or 2 of superglue & incert the pointed end of the nail (hook remover) into the hole... those hook removers mostly available does damage a fly also because it has a tube end that you have to slip over the fly body to get to the hook or a plyers type pincher on the end... i threw the one i had away... mine i made, you just put it under the fly on the bend of the hook & give it a little push and the hook is out without any damage to the fly and more important, it doesnt harm the fish... you can hammer the busines end of the nail (hook remover) as thin as you need to to suit the hooks you need it to remove... heres one i made & use not counting ones ive made for others... its about 6" long from end to end... works great for breams or fish that has very small mouths... dont have to fataly injure the fish getting back your fly or leave the fly in there to keep from killing the fish...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...9/SNV30291.jpg
    Last edited by bugman; 10-22-2008 at 03:54 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...