In May '08 I was thrilled to hear of a new sporting goods store opening in nearby Victorville, CA. Sportsman's Warehouse was going to be the place to shop for things I need. Hands on shopping for hooks, fur and feathers. Thread, chenille and flashaboo. Not to mention fly fishing gifts for my grandsons who want to fish like I do. I do buy a lot of things online but really, I like to look at and feel what I'm getting ready to spend my hard earned retirement money on.
They opened in June and I was there like the lady in the Mervin's commercial. Open, Open, Open. Go early, stay long and shop, shop, shop. Pretty good prices and conveniently close. Prior to their opening I had to drive 75 to 150 miles one way to a sporting goods store of that caliber.
Last week I got an email from my friend with a link to a newspaper article about the store. They were closing their doors on Wednesday, Oct. 15 at noon! Out of business! Finished! No "Going out of business" sale. No half off all stock. Nope, just closing. 80 people out of work. Meanwhile the chain is closing 2 more stores elsewhere and opening 3 new stores in other places.
I went there the same day I got the email to do some last minute shopping and to express my dismay to anyone who would listen. Turns out I was preaching to the choir. No one else wanted the place to close. The employees certainly didn't nor the other last minute shoppers. It turns out the economy is to blame.This isn't a Mom n Pop store but a large chain. I can just imagine what the small stores are going through. From now on I'm only shopping at FAOL sponsors. Jim