+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gurgle Pop strikes again

Hybrid View

Default Gurgle Pop strikes again

I picked this pattern up from the fly archives here on FAOL. It has proven to be a very effective fly for me this summer. Whoever "invented" it, thank you.

Jeff

Jeff,

I've seen you fish. It's a much you as the fly. Good flies certainly don't hurt but good technique helps a lot. You're a veritable Swiss Army Knife of fishing! A threat on both warm AND cold water! Good thing we don't live closer to the salt or I'd have to put up with you posting Bone Fish and Tarpon photo's too!

Keep up the good work!
    Joe Bertolini

Hi Jeff;

Nice tie and great fish!

I too discovered the gurglepop's effectiveness this summer I must have tried half a dozen different top water flies this summer but by the end I ended up using this simple pattern exclusively. It catches lot's of fish and you can make it do all kinds of crazy things from suttle to a real aggresive pop.

It's hideously easy to tie and really catches fish! The funny thing for me is that I caught the most bass on a size 10 yellow gurgle pop with red tail that I tied for gills. I think one of the most satisfying thing was to actually wear one out! It must have lasted me three or more evening outings this summer and I can't count the number of bass and bluegills I caught with it before tying on another.

For warm water use I can't see why I need any other top water pattern.

Wayneb

Love Gurgle Pops, although I wasn't in a Gurgle Pop situation all summer. Maybe next year. JGW

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    Jeff,

I've seen you fish. It's a much you as the fly. Good flies certainly don't hurt but good technique helps a lot. You're a veritable Swiss Army Knife of fishing! A threat on both warm AND cold water! Good thing we don't live closer to the salt or I'd have to put up with you posting Bone Fish and Tarpon photo's too!

Keep up the good work!
    Joe,
    You're too kind. I think it's more like a blind squirrel finding an acorn.

I didn't make it up to BV this weekend either.

I'm going to Chicago for 2 days this week on business so I doubt I'll be going to BV this weekend either.

Jeff

I like gurgle pops here in western Ky also!

You,ve convinced me to tie some of these. It looks like yellow body and red tail are favorite colors. I think I have some red antron. Does anyone have other colors they recommend?

Thanks for the information, Jeff.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Peter Frailey Is the originator of this variation of the gartside gurgler He ties it in multiple colors with different tails. Yellow is the color he uses most. His description is in the fly archive on Faol. A simple way to find what you what you are looking for in the archive is to go into the archive from the home page then push then ctrl key on your keyboard followed by an f . A box will come up type in the most distintive part of the fly name and click next

Good luck

Here's a link to FAOL archive on the Gurgle Pop
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...121503fotw.php

believe me, if I can tie it, anyone can! And have had some really great success with it on one of our large lakes, the bass luv it.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Talking

Nice fish, I also caught several this year on the gurgle pop and also the gurgalator. Give it a try too works well also.

+ Reply to Thread