I took my dog "Thunder" down to the Bear river yesterday to hang out while I went fishing. Thunder is a Husky/German Shepard mix and he's my best buddy. He loves the water and is becoming very good at not swimming where I'm trying to fish.

I talked to some of the campers there and 3 of them said they saw a mountain lion take down a deer on the other side of the river the night before last.

I continued up the river and tried fly fishing all the little pockets and pools while Thunder kept me company and went in for the occasional swim. I hooked one but he shook off the hook before I could land him.

I took a little break to check up on Thunder. He was laying down in a shallow pool down stream from me cooling off when suddenly he stands up and goes into a point position looking at the opposite bank.

I came over to him to make sure he wouldn't chase whatever was over there. I scanned the far bank and couldn't see a thing but Thunder was frozen still as a rock and watching something. Not scared, not whining, his hair wasn't up. But he was dead still and not moving a muscle.

It's was getting dark so I decided that I'd had enough fishing for one evening. About 6 hikers were coming back from their hike on the trail right above us so we joined them so we could all hike out in a group. Mountain lions will tend to stay away from groups of people.

So I never saw it, but I think Thunder spotted it. In any case, their tummies are probably full from that deer two nights ago. Still, it was an interesting evening.