+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That time of year again!

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy That time of year again!

Hello Folks,

Well it's getting to be that time of year again. For those of us in the South, the warm-water fishing season has been improving steadily after the heat of summer. For those in the North, the fishing is slowing down as the water temperature drops and freezing nights begin to occur. What's happening in your neck of the woods----shutting down, slowing down, staying good or red hot? What are you catching? 8T

Well in my neck of the woods, here in N.W., IA, the bullgills and small bass have been hitting pretty good. The last few days the fishing has been very good, especially in the late afternoon, early evening hours. They've been hitting surface flies like crazy, mainly hoppers.

Just got back today from a local pond and caught about 20 gills in about 2hrs. A few of them where hitting the fly just a second or two after the fly hit the water ... and hit'em hard! I like to use my 3wt for these guys, alot more fun using a light rod

We had some really cold nights lately, but in the high 50's low 60's during the day with S.SE winds around 10-20mph. Not sure how long this will keep up, but hoping to get a few more weeks in before the cold really starts setting in.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Things are slowing down here, at least for me...only saw one pod of Carp today where there are normally hundreds...hooked one but he took my 3x tippett!

Caught 2 Smallies in very shallow, cold, crystal clear water.

Small local pond full of nice Panfish and Bass laid dead yesterday AM...2 LM's caught in about 2.5 hours...no panfish even seen!

Bluegills and largemouth are still doing well, Smallies are in the shallow water in the reservoirs chasing shad. The whites and wipers should be joining them any day now if we can just get a few windy days to congregate them. Also been catching plenty of drum in the outlets. That's the word here in NE Kansas.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Went out 2 evenings ago for a little over an hour... caught 3 or 4 crappie and a bluegill on a black Mohair leech with a bright orange bead head and a pink Crappie Candy. The water was extremely dirty. I have had more luck in the past couple weeks using smaller patterns... female Adams and some CDC dry flies have been pretty productive, as well as my 3 or 4 go-to flies.

Well, here in Northern Kentucky, action is starting to slow just a bit. It went below freezing here last night. Bluegill and bass are still moving about but a few more nights like last night and a few more days with highs in the 50's and it'll all be over. Usually by about the first of November, the warmwater fishing around here is about done. Still trout in the tailwaters and for those who like to chase steelhead farther north around the great lakes tribs then there's still action.

But my favorite fishing is for bluegill, crappie, and bass. They're about over and we may have a couple weeks left.

Jeff

In Quebec, It's PERCH-A-PALUSA time!

The huge yellow perch are a lot more catchable, the one pounders are out and about.

They put a real neat bend in the 2 weight rod !

My fishing partner caught one that touche the two pound mark .

The bite is also on for trout.

Take care,
    chris

There's a chill in the air here in Texas. Cool weather has been off and on for a few weeks. I'm going to start fishing the ponds, hopefully this week, as they will be the first to cool down. Depending on the weather, the lakes should start cooling off soon if not already.

Trout fishing will be picking up in Texas and Oklahoma. A big plus is that the crowds at the trout streams will begin to thin out at the same time. Vacation season begins to shut down as the trout fishing begins to turn on.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    There's a chill in the air here in Texas. <snip>

According to my Texas to (American) English dictionary, that means that mights are dipping down into the 70s. Is that about right?

Ed

All inland fishing is over for this year here in Newfoundland Canada since Oct 7th. Its fly tying untill Feb 1st with exception to the odd go in the salt for searun browns and looking at the big boys heading up river.

sorry didn't notice this was the warm water forum.
    Last edited by 126barnes; 10-21-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: wrong forum

+ Reply to Thread