+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sold my D60...Point & shoot BEST?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Sold my D60...Point & shoot BEST?

too complicated....
    too big....

Not good macro...

I am going to buy good point and shoot?

Next monday.

Price range 300-700 bucks.

Use for fish and scenery...needs good macro.....

Lets hear what you think?
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have the Pentax w30. It's a great little camera for general photography, but either it is lacking in the macro department, or I am. I have a hard time getting the camera to focus on closeup images. I have to zoom way in and move way back to get even a halfway decent photo. I would rather not have to zoom so much to help eliminate the shake that goes with it. I also haven't bothered with a decent lighting setup, so that might be part of the problem.
    Your photo skills may offset what I see as a liability.
    I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
    Lots of features, plenty of manual adjustments if you want them, and fairly intuitive menus. And, the book is only 1/4" thick

Kirk

Default Sold my D60

I've admired your photos and your location for a long time. I suspect God lives in the Driftless area.

I have a Canon A720 IS (~$185) that pleases me. I believe you'd be happy with the Canon Powershot G9 that's ~$450. It has many of the capabilites of a DSLR while fitting a shirt pocket, has great defintion (12Mp) and focuses to 1 cm. Check it out at

http://www dpreview.com/review/specs/Canon/canon_G9.asp

Sorry, don't know why that didn't light up!

Since the G 10 has recently been introduced the G9 may be available for a few dollors less - get a few more boxes of hooks! Maybe even a Whiting neck!

I have an Aquapac sealed bag for carrying my camera but rarely use it. A neck strap allows me to put my camera in my shirt pocket with very little chance of it getting "drowned".

Good luck with your new purchase and please keep those pictures coming.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Smile Sold my D60

Oops! Now I see why it didn't light up. Try

http://www.dpreview.com/review/specs/Canon/canon_G9.asp

HTH

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

I put my point and shoots away in favor of my Nikon D40 because of its superior all around performance. But since you are going in the other direction, I suggest the Canon Powershot A580 as an low cost high performance point and shoot that is simple to use, or the Canon SD750 for for a more compact model. Both have good macro as do most point and shoot cameras. These are well under you price range, low enough to get two or three.

Blog Entries

Default i have huge hands

i have huge hands

skinny little cameras?

don't think so.

Have 2 sony point and shoot cameras.

The older sony (V-1) has a better macro than my W-7.

I say DO NOT buy a DSLR.

will not improve a photo that is required in 5 seconds or less.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Len -

I highly recommend the Olympus 850SW. $300 plus a memory card ( about $15 for 1 gig ).

Shock proof from 6' to a hard surface, waterproof to 10', and freeze proof to 14F.

The settings are easy to learn and use - lots of useful modes and some not so useful, flash settings, a couple macro settings, will take short movies ( at low resolution ), etc. etc. etc.

There is a 1050SW which ups the resolution and I believe that model also is good for the 6' drop and 14F but goes to 30' underwater. For what you seem to do, that is probably overkill, especially considering the higher price tag.

Every photo I've posted since early May was taken with the 850SW. I'm sure a good photographer would get more out of it than I do.

John
    The fish are always right.

The Canon Powershot A650, A720, A590, A630, A570 and A580 are all larger than the thin models hand have larger grip areas due to the use of AA batteries. I prefer the grips on these compared to most other point and shoot cameras. They will still fit in shirt pocket but are bulkier than the thin models. All of these also have an optical view finder, which I consider essential since most lcd view screens are difficult to see in bright light. Most camera shops as well as stores like Wal mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. will have examples to check out.

Several of the Canon Powershot A series cameras also accept adapters that allow you to use standard 52mm threaded photo filters, most useful for anglers and landscape photographers is a circular polarizer.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 09-16-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Normand Guest

i'm not sure you are gonna find a point and shoot that equals the quality of the D60.

+ Reply to Thread