Today was the annual Apple Festival at Little Buffalo State Park. The park has a full size water powered grist mill that is operated by park employees and volunteers during the festival. Power from the mill is used to make fresh squeezed apple cider and fresh ground corn meal.

There is also a group that makes apple butter right there on the site. Hey, they even make a sugar free apple butter for us diabetics. The local ladies use corn meal from the mill to bake free treats for all. You can purchase the corn meal for your own use. The bags are printed with a history of the mill, Shoaff's Mill, and the family that owned it. In this day of the frivolous law suit the meal must be marked "Not for human consumption" because it might contain small fragments of wood and mill stone. Well, duh, it is milled in the old fashioned traditional way. Therefore we do what our ancestors did and sift the meal before baking. Any thing small enough to pass through the sifter will not cause us harm.

The corn meal:

What a great day for us. We had some wonderful food, great entertainment, great company and a wonderful leaf peeping walk. Lots of folks were there and all having a wonderful time. Local folk artist Jerry Haines was there providing some wonderful music.

I will post some photos of my finished corn breads when I get a chance to bake some. Here are some fall pics for you too: