+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Vice

Default No Vice

How many out there knows how to tie without a vise or any tools?
    Am I the only one that thought that was impossible.

It's not, I just got back from a class that showed how to do it.
    I even tied a beaded pheasant tail nymph size 20 with out any tools at all.

how many times did you poke yourself with the hook? lol Did your fingers and hands cramp up?

Phil

There is a very famous fly that was invented 'stream-side' and not only tied without a vise but without any 'tying materials'.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Wink I'll stick with a fly vise

Hi Bunzo,

I've heard of a fairly large number of people who can tie flies very effectively without a vise including a number of salmon fly dressers. In the case of the salmon fly tyers, this was often done to make the craft look more difficult to master and to discourage potential competitors. I've never tried this trick myself, though I'm pretty certain that I could become reasonably competent if I had to do it. I doubt that I will try unless the government suddenly confiscates all fly tying vises. I admire those who accept and conquer this challenge but I have no wish to emulate them. Nor will I try to use the little hand-held vises. I love my Regal. Just my 2% of a dollar. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

Normand Guest

next time tie a size 32 with no vise. now that would be impressive

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Carrie Stevens was a famous fly tier from the Rangeley Lakes area. She is said to invent the Grey Ghost streamer. She didn't have a vice or tools that we use today. She did it all by hand. She tied some beautiful flies and caught some nice fish, that are still on record today

Well some have heard about it I hadn't.
    The trick is you use WOMENS NYLONS as the thread. Unravel / tear a few threads depends on the size of the fly. Color to match, Black is always good.
    You can start and stop at any time without having to keep tension on the fly. The nylon keeps every thing in place as you go and you tie the fly as normal.
    And the best part is there are no knots. When you get done. Just several wraps for the head as any other fly then a small amount of cement or what ever to keep in place.
    I haven't fished any tied like this yet,but i'm being told it's stronger and more durable then thread. The person that gave the presentation is from Bosnia and this is how he learned.
    Just think your best fly is coming apart on the stream. A few wraps of nylons and your back in business.
    Don't get me wrong it will take a bit of practice but it was interesting to do.
    If I knew how to attach a photo I would show you my frist try at it. It's fishable.

Default Hand tied Flies

I also attended the meeting today at the Central Iowa Fly Fishers. We did have a fellow fly fisherman (he moved here from Boznia 9 years ago) demonstrate fly tying without a vise. They do it because of economics but it is a great talent to have. Lee Wulfe actually tied flies to match the hatch in the middle of rivers. He also show us pictures of 130+ pound trout from Boznia. It is a very interesting country with a great fishery.

I have attached pictures of two of the flies we tied today, a bead head pheasant tail #18 similar to Bunzo and a 18 dry fly I tied even with a broken vise (cut finger).

This was a lot of fun and I think enhances our skills in this sport. You never know when you might need to tie a fly.

iaflyfisher
    Central Iowa Fly Fisher
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

Born in the 20's--dad had orders to fill so around the age of nine I finally could do a good job of tying with only hook material and scissor. Three fingers thumb, and middle to hold the hook and material,index to hold the thread to the hook until I would half hitch. The half hitch would leave you pause between adding material. Most were New England Carrie Stevens type streamers for landlocks but we also tied very small flies. With a little yankee ingenuity I found a jewelers Pin Vise would hold those small hooks better than fingers. Then in high school shop class I built a cam vise that still works today. Add material,half hitch add material--easy.
    You will find true old flies with colored heads are painted---we had only black thread. Just like Ford in those days any color as long as its black. We used yellow red and white paint.
    I used to tie with my fingers during fly club meetings--I'll have to get back to doing that again. Try a Royal Wulff. I sat at Lee Wulffs tying desk and there wasnt a vise in sight. Bill

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    There is a very famous fly that was invented 'stream-side' and not only tied without a vise but without any 'tying materials'.
    JC when my dad and I were on a stream and we didnt have a fly to match the hatch he would open the trunk tie six or so and catch our limit in no time. BILL

+ Reply to Thread