+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's using knotted tapered leaders?

Ducksterman "UJ....I'm curious...what were the qualities that made the line not really good?"

Soft or limp line is good for spinning and casting; stiffer (wiry line) better for fly leaders. Maybe I'm showing my age; I remember when Trilene advertised their "soft" line.

I've used several different formulas, but I think making the butt and quick taper out of a stiff mono helps, I use Maxima, then softer for 5X on down works for me. I like Umpqua tippet material.

I use the Harry Murray forumla from Leadercalc on globalflyfisher.com. I find that led works great for all my warm water fishing on my 6-8 wt rods. Panfish, bass etc etc.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

While not a complete book on making leaders, I have saved this link because it was to the point with some nice formulas: http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tip...t-leaders.html

Rick

for steel i use 25lb,20,15,10,mono then I go 8 or 6 flouro on very small barrel swivel . if they break off u lose tippet only. I use this for steelies because you are either nymphing or using streamers and flouro sinks and is invisible to fish.. I use 25 for the butt so the line sinks faster in the high flows of the great lakes. for regular bassing I just use 30,20,10, then 6 or 4lb no swivel. if you follow leader recipes to a tee they will turn over with ease. mine work well enough for my river and I can cast just fine with them and they have never lost me a fish. i have straightened the hook out before breakin the line. I blood knot every piece together and use improved clinch for leader to fly and leaders to barrel swivels. I use a nail knot for fly line to leader. you can adjust that recipe for a better turn over ratio if you want. have fun and good luck!
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Blog Entries

JKurtz

When you mentioned that you were not happy with them, exactly what points were displeasing? Were they not turning over fully, too much power, etc.?

I have found that smaller rods with lighter lines can't turn over as much leader as heavier lines and rods. I am down to a little three foot furled leader made with 6/0 Uni on my ought weight. This set up works well for me. Anything more than that and it simply could not turn it over nicely.

+ Reply to Thread