+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help- new zealand first trip

Hybrid View

Default help- new zealand first trip

hello everyone, this would be my 2nd post here. i'll be heading to the north island of new zealand and intend to do some freshwater and saltwater fly fishing in early December, what would you recommend on the tackle and fly front for saltwater? this is my first trip to New Zealand so i really dont know what to expect. all advice would be most appreciated.

I intend to bring my Scott STS 6wt, Sage Z axis 6wt, and my orvis trident TLS 9wt. are the micro fly prospects good? would it be worthwhile to bring a 4wt 9' rod too?
    many thanks!

FWP

Hi Freshwaterpirate,

I'll be heading overseas when you arrive, otherwise I would offer to show you a few places. But, most are easy enough to find. There are some rivers I fish with a 3 weight, so a 4 weight is not a bad idea. There isn't a lot of trout fishing right in the Auckland area, and the only river (the Wairoa) generally is muddy and has a few, but not many, small fish. Not too far (an hour or so) is the Ohinemuri, which is definately worth a fish. Near Tirau is the Waihou and the Waimakariri. Both are small spring fed rivers that contain a lot of small rainbows (mostly under 30cm, or 12"). Rotorua area has a lot of good fishing, both lakes and rivers. Dec. might be a bit early for fishing the river mouths into the lakes, but as the temperatures warm up these can be very productive areas (especially at night when the big browns come in). Best bet is to talk to the guys in the fishing shops (either at Hammils or around the corner at O'Keefes; both will give you good advice). There are lots of guides available in Rotorua area as well, and they will know where the fish are. Then, you can continue on to Taupo area, and you should try and fish the Tongariro River (and the rivers near it). Be aware that you will need a different licence for the Taupo fishey than for the rest of the country! And, depending upon how often you will be fishing, a full seasons licence may be more economical than buying one day permits. Again, there are lots of guides and local shops that will put you onto the fish and suggest what techniques are most popular. But, don't be afraid to experiment with technique as nymphing are universally suggested for rivers as the first option! Other things work too of course.

- Jeff

P.S. This is all freshwater info. I've not tried my hand at saltwater fly (yet).
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 10-17-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Hi Freshwaterpirate,

I'll be heading overseas when you arrive, otherwise I would offer to show you a few places. But, most are easy enough to find. There are some rivers I fish with a 3 weight, so a 4 weight is not a bad idea. There isn't a lot of trout fishing right in the Auckland area, and the only river (the Wairoa) generally is muddy and has a few, but not many, small fish. Not too far (an hour or so) is the Ohinemuri, which is definately worth a fish. Near Tirau is the Waihou and the Waimakariri. Both are small spring fed rivers that contain a lot of small rainbows (mostly under 30cm, or 12"). Rotorua area has a lot of good fishing, both lakes and rivers. Dec. might be a bit early for fishing the river mouths into the lakes, but as the temperatures warm up these can be very productive areas (especially at night when the big browns come in). Best bet is to talk to the guys in the fishing shops (either at Hammils or around the corner at O'Keefes; both will give you good advice). There are lots of guides available in Rotorua area as well, and they will know where the fish are. Then, you can continue on to Taupo area, and you should try and fish the Tongariro River (and the rivers near it). Be aware that you will need a different licence for the Taupo fishey than for the rest of the country! And, depending upon how often you will be fishing, a full seasons licence may be more economical than buying one day permits. Again, there are lots of guides and local shops that will put you onto the fish and suggest what techniques are most popular. But, don't be afraid to experiment with technique as nymphing are universally suggested for rivers as the first option! Other things work too of course.

- Jeff

P.S. This is all freshwater info. I've not tried my hand at saltwater fly (yet).
    Hi Jeff! thank you for all the information... do you have any tackleshops and guides in particular to recommend?
    so far in my fly assortment, i've tied up some jelly emergers (weighted and unweighted), some foam hoppers, ants, blood worms, brassies, and copper johns, and will probably tie up a few soft hackles and buy the dry flies when i get to NZ. i'll definately be flying in after 3rd Dec and leaving probably around the 14th or so...

with regards to the rivers that you've mentioned in your posting, are any of them suitable for a beginner? i myelf am not the most proficient caster and some of my family members have not had much experience with flyfishing.

many thanks

-Ren

i almost forgot to mention, i've also tied up a few marabou shrimps (size 8 and 10) and some boobies (size 10, and 14)

Hi Freshwaterpirate,

For tackle shops, in Auckland you could check out Rod & Reel. They do both fresh and salt water fly. Some of the fellows that work there have been (and may still be) on the NZ national team. Yoshi guides from that shop, more to teach you how to fish without needing a guide than just to put you on the fish.

Pretty much all the rivers I've mentioned are fairly easy to fish. The Waihou and Waimakiriri (near Tirau) are small, don't require long casts, and have lots of fish. It's a river I take most people who've never fly fished before and all have caught their first fish there! In Tirau, stop at the corregated iron dog (trust me, you'll know it when you see it) and ask for directions from there (it's not far).

Just outside of Rotorura is the township of Ngongataha. There's a holiday park there (Waiteti Trout Stream Holiday Park), which is where we stay. It's right on the Waiteti River, which is easy to fish, and you can walk down to fish the mouth where some pretty big browns come in at night. There's a fellow who guides out of there, Harvey, who is very good and again, who's guiding is designed for pure beginners (and he's very affordable!). In Rotorura there are a number of good tackle shops, with Hammil's and O'Keefes being my two favorites. The guys there can give you all the info as to where is fishing well.

I don't fish the Tapau region very often I'm afraid. The Tongariro is a big river, and can require some pretty long distance casting, but there are sections that can be easily fished without having to cast a mile and a half. There's a shop right by the river, near Breakfast pool, that has some good stuff in it, and there are shops in town that are really good too. Mike Thomas knows the area better than I do, and I'm sure he'll have some suggestons.

- Jeff

Hey there, I am a bit snowed under at the moment but when I get more than a minute I will P.M. you with some info.
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread