+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reel/line question

Default Reel/line question

Is there any practical reason I couldn't line a reel that's meant for 4 weight line, with 5 weight line? I can get a good deal on a 4 weight reel, but I'd want it for my 5 weight set up. (For the record, my old 5 weight reel (a Sage 2550) just fell apart - the spool fell out, the drag adjustment fell out, etc. I'd send it in to the repair/warranty department, but it costs $50! How is that a warranty? I've already had to send it in once when the fee was $40 - so i could keep using the warranty but I'd rather just get an inexpensive reel that would last more than 3 seasons - but this is another thread entirely, so I digress...)

Reel size suggestions are for a couple of reasons. The larger wts of fly lines are thicker and therefore need more room than a smaller wt would. Then there is the amount of backing that a reel will hold. Smaller reels will also induce more coil since the arbor is smaller.

If anything I tend to go a size larger in a reel than a size smaller.

This time of year was called silly season by someone else on this board for the crazy sales that are now available at the end of the year with model changes and some states closing seasons. You can find some awsome deals right now, so shop some and see what is available. I'll send you a pm as well on some specific deals that you might want to consider. No I'm not selling anything, but have a shopping habit for fly fishing equipment that rivals any woman's compulsion to shop for shoes.

Rick

Probably not. It would probably be just a matter of reducing the amount of backing for the 5 wt line compared to what the reel is designed to hold ( in the way of backing ) for a 4 wt line.

If you can find the reel you are thinking about on the manufacturer's website, there should be enough information to help you make a good decision. Just for general information on reels and their capacities for line and backing, take a look at Orvis' website, for example, and their BBS reels. The BBS reels usually take a span of three line sizes, say 1-3, 3-5, etc - just a matter of the amount of backing.

Another factor is whether you want to use a DT line on the reel. That alone could cause some crowding on the spool.

If you are just looking for good buys, take a look at www.sierratradingpost.com under outdoor gear / fishing.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Smile 5wt line on a 4 wt reel

SquatchHunter,

You can place a 5 weight line on 4 weight rated reel. I would imagine there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two reels. Now then, if you were talking about using a 2 weight rated reel, that would be a different story.

You will not be able to use as much backing and considering you are from Montana, if you tag into one of those huge Browns that are in some of the rivers, you may need some backing. However, seldom do trout get you into your backing.

If you think that could be an issue then use Gel-Spun for your backing, you will be able to place far more of it on your reel than 20 pound Dacron.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Perfect. Thank you all very much.

if you are using a wt fwd line and never cast 60 ft while fishing---there are no rules that say you cant chop the running line off the back end of the 5 wt line---if you are using a dt line chop it in the middle(approx 45') and put the back half away for later as it will be the same at both ends---put a small diameter running line/backing (gel-spun or power pro)and you will probably end up with more line on the reel than before.

it would be like a shooting head but made out of your reg flyline

a friend of mine does this and carries a bunch of pieces of lines in ziplock bags in his vest
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

hutjensmpg Guest

Shorthaul - thats a great idea!

I have the previous generation Orvis LA and while the 4 wt lines fit perfectly with a decent amount of backing, the 5wt SA Nymph and the Sage Performance II, both of which have extra long heads have almost no backing and still hit the frame if not reeled up perfectly. A good portion of the running line is leaving those spools soon...

Which brings me to what I was going to respond with. With either standard or mid-arbor reels I think you can easily put a 5 wt on a 4 rated reel - you just end up with say 50 yds of backing vs. 125. But as described above with my Orvis LA, on what some would call a 'true' large arbor you may have a problem because they don't necessarily take a lot of backing.

A couple of years ago I got a new bamboo rod rod rated for 5 wt. I decided I needed a DT 5 line and tried to put it on my CFO III reel that had always accommodated a WF6 just fine...wouldn't fit. You could go to a WF5 with no trouble, I think, but a DT could be a problem.

(BTW, being a sensible sort, I solved my problem by getting a CFO IV.)

I use this one and I truly believe it's intended for a 4 weight line, but I use a 5 weight. It handles the line just fine. My only caveat is that is has a handle turning radius that's too small. Beautifully working machine however. I also don't usually catch fish over 16".
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...sPostBack=true

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default a matter of balance

I have a light fiberglass 5 weight rod that needed a very light reel to balance. I bought a Vision GT34 which I absolutely am delighted with. For backing I put on plenty of 12 lb.Remington followed by a Teeny First Cast WF5F. This fly line is 60 feet instead of 90 or a 100. The outfit is perfect and wonderful to fish with.

+ Reply to Thread