FFF and Fly Fishing Industry Mourns the Passing of Mel Krieger

Taken from the October 2008 FFF Clubwire Newsletter

Mel Krieger passed away on Oct 7, 2008. He has been one of the largest supporters of the Federation of Fly Fishers. He was a vital part in the development of the FFF's CICP - Certified Casting Instructor Program that began back in 1992. The program is now worldwide. He won the FFF's highest honor of the Lapis Lazuli Award in 2006. He will be missed by all.

A few words from the CBOG Chair - Bruce Richards:
Mel was the brains and brawn of the CICP program in the early years, and remained our conscience and "godfather" in more recent years. We all learned a lot from Mel over the years, and not just about casting, but about how to live and love and view life as a thing to be treasured.

Mel was an important mentor of mine, and there was no one I enjoyed arguing with more, and we had plenty of opportunities. What I will never forget about Mel is that, after each heated debate, he would find me in private, apologize for being so hard on me, and reconfirm his respect for me. Mel was a master at being able to have deep disagreements with friends, and not allowing it to affect the friendship.

I will deeply miss Mel, as I know you will. He was a one of a kind guy, there is no replacing him. I am very proud to know that I was a close personal friend of Mel's, I always felt very privileged to be his friend.

The 'Celebration of Life Party' is scheduled for Sunday, November 2nd. From 3:00pm to 6:00pm at the Golden Gate Casting Club in San Francisco, CA.

Larry ---sagefisher---