A month or so ago there was a thread about bear safety and spray, which I give/gave a big thumbs down. I just returned from being forced to fish Kodiak Island again for three full weeks. It was perhaps the best Indian Summer in Kodiak history as days were clear, cold and beautiful... And the bears were everywhere!

I guesss I interfaced with at least 50-60 Kodiak bears during the 3 weeks. One day we bumped into 7. A number of times bears showed up while we were fishing and we simply left, particularly if we knew that bear from prior visits.

Late in the summer the bears start feeling the effects of a rotting fish diet (they always eat rotten fish in preference to fresh) and when it gets bad enough they climb the mountain to eat bear grass and berries. They then cycle up for grass and berries and down for fish when the gut feels better. They often repeat this for weeks.

In late September we fished a small stream close to Kodiak airport, the Buskin River, and were interrupted by a bear I recognized as timid from prior trips. I hazed the bear by not moving and maintaining eye contact while talking to him. Realizing I was backlit and probably looking smaller I moved around the bear to get in direct sun as the bear moved across the river. He did not hesitate to leave when I did not flinch and kept staring at his eyes. He could not maintain eye contact.

However, as he waded down the far shore he stopped to eat grass several times... An obvious sign I had chosen poorly and this was a bear to be left alone. I backed off and the bear climbed the far bank and made a little nest to nap in, about 50 yards below the pool we were fishing. It was perfect. As others came to fish I casually mentioned the napping bear and pointed it out and everyone left!

Hundreds of monster silver salmon hung in the pool and the fishing was exceptional! I took each small handful of fish to the van to prevent the bear from chasing us off them later.

A friend fishing with me asked later why I did not have my revolver in-hand while staring down the bear. I explained that would have required a trip to the van because I was not carrying it...

Another day on the same hole a different bear came down the river and we vacated immediately, with good haste. About a 9' boar, he had no inclination to be intimidated by by a fat guy in rubber pants... In previous encounters he had shown no hesitation to stare back when meeting. Besides, he was simply so big he intimidated me.

My point is simple, despite the windiness... Most bears are not an issue and if you spend some time around them there is little need for concern. But those bears at the top of the pecking order know it and should not be toyed with.
art in rubber pants