Not an unusual scenario. Often the salmon start jumping and not biting so we know they are there but they won't touch anything. Hateful things. On the other hand, I have landed over 50 salmon in one day. Salmon don't eat to live during the run, so that is not an issue. I have also found that East winds (on the West Coast) cause a rise in pressure and that KILLS the bite as the Adiabatic heating forms. This week on the West coast is beautiful weather but I shant go after salmon due to the East winds. On the other hand, with no chinook fishing off shore this Summer, there are lots more fish in the rivers. That is a big plus. Steelhead, on the other hand, do eat to live in the river, especially the Summer runs which may arrive in June and not spawn until May the next year. They can be treated more like trout. Now in Michigan or the East Coast, this may not hold true as you may not have enough water for a Summer run. Believe me, that is a shame. I fish mainly for steelhead, and the catch is available every month of the year.

The bite for salmon turns on and off. If you have good numbers, it is helpful to be there at the right time. On the West Coast, there is a Spring run, a Fall run, and now, in some rivers, a Winter run. The Fall run starts about September with fish venturing in on the high tide (and then back to the ocean again) and effective fishing around the mouth. They are waiting for higher and cooler water which means the rains. The first good rain will bring in the adventurists and the fishing may be momentarily hot. However, it is usually October before more rains and very serious fishing begins. It was one of these rains in October two years ago that brought 50 salmon to my hand. I quickly switched to much heavier line so I could bring them in faster and catch more fish. Quite tiring (I know, "Poor baby!"). Those are the days we live for in salmon fishing. December first last year, I hit the beginning of the Winter run on an unnamed estuary creek and banked 4 more salmon.

In salmon and steelhead, it is not what you are fishing so much as bumping their nose with it. Sometimes salmon won't take it even then. With salmon, it is timing. If the bite isn't on, go crabbing. With steelhead, like trout it may be the pattern, the time of day, the amount of oxygen in the water, the presentation, the smell, but like trout, you can usually get some good action. Salmon, on the other hand, sometimes just suck. Once my only fish was one of those jumpers which just jumped over the low side of my small boat.

There are a few things you can try with salmon (except on an East wind day). First, salmon HATE human scent. You should use a mild detergent soap to wash off your flies and terminal tackle/line. Also, if allowed in your state, you can ADD scent. This can be herring, shrimp, anise, or even WD-40. They have a jaw that can destroy hooks so don't use some sissy hook for a lost memory. Their mouths (most salmon) are damned hard so SHARPEN those hooks! Patterns with loose yarn can stick in their teeth and produce a fish instead of a miss. Salmon could care less about terminal line. In the 1940's my uncles used heavy stainless steel and caught lots. Don't get sissy here unless you are also fishing for steelhead. Although the main thing is getting your hook in front of them, there are a few colors they like better than others like chartruese, red, orange, and silver. They often feel like a rock hangup on the bottom. Don't tighten your drag too soon to break it off. Early mornings and late evenings is often best.

But mainly, it is timing. Dang, you sure missed it last week.