While adding to a thread about fishing the Poconos this coming week, a thought occured to me. Seeing how we're having all this rain here in the N.E., the streams are going to be pretty ugly for a while.

But to be honest, it doesn't really bother me. Does anyone else out there actually enjoy fishing water that is high and dirty?

Here are the pros in my opinion:

1. Long periods of heavy rain moves the fish around, disorients them and makes it harder for them to find food...so they're hungry and vulnerable.

2. The bulk of the fly fishermen stay away because of the conditions, leaving you with plenty of room.

3. Bright, bulky streamers are the way to go, so matching distinct patterns is not really necessary. It's all stripping and waiting for that "thump."

4. Any place with a current break or calm water, like on flooded banks especially, will potentially be holding fish.

5. You don't have to worry about wading too much and spooking wary fish.

I actually enjoy the challenge very much. In fact, I've caught some pretty memorable trout under such conditions. Once I hit for a 22inch brown in water like chocolate milk. All I saw was a gold flash near the surface and the rod bowed hard! Anyone else with me, or do you stay home and tie flies until the water recedes and clears? Thoughts? Stories?

[This message has been edited by Copper Dropper (edited 13 October 2005).]