+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP - Caribbean Cruise and need to fish!

Hybrid View

Default HELP - Caribbean Cruise and need to fish!

I spend most of my time in the Warm Water forum as I currently live in Nebraska. In a little over a week, I will be on a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean. We plan on stopping in Cozumel, Belize City and some other places I haven't heard of.

In Belize City, we will go on an excursion that puts us out on an island for a chunk of the day and we have free reign on the island. It is here that I plan to do most of my fishing. I doubt we will go out anywhere near Turnefee or any other quality bonefish waters that I have read about.

I have read that fishing the surf is somewhat productive. Kayaks may be available, but the chance is slim.

I will be armed with my largest rod, a 9 foot, 7-weight, over-lined with WF8F.

So, here's the questions...

What top 5 flies should I take to target ANY saltwater fish?

What all-around leader and tippet should I bring?

Where should I spend my time on the island/shore (i.e. windblown shore)?

When fishing the surf, do I fish parallel or perpendicular to the waves?

How do I identify structure on the beach?

During the heat of the day, where should I focus my efforts?

I have never fished Saltwater before. I appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

Just Fish in Belize, arrange for a guide to either pick you up at the boat (Belize is always a tender) or meet you at the docks where you tender comes in (ensure they are aloud inside the security fence). I have done this a couple times however i did not arrange anything my local fly shop made the calls, and they picked me up at the boat once and at the docks the other.

Nick

For flies, I'd suggest small shrimp/crab imitators and a few colors of Clouser Deep Minnows to use as baitfish imitators. If you're like me, you'll probably be disappointed if you don't catch fish, and there's more little fish than big fish close to shore. You can fish around the docks in the harbor, or any rocky shoreline (if there is one). If you're near some sand flats, wade out beyond the breakers if possible, and start covering water!

Good luck, Scott!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've never been to belize, my only saltwater fishing has been in Florida but here's the best advice I can give.

Top 5 flies I would suggest : Clousers, Deceivers, Gotcha's/crazy charlies, any crab imitation, and a surface popper or crease fly if you have any interest in catching jacks or some other aggressive fish in case the bonefish don't cooperate.

Structure on the beach is tough to spot unless its something visible like a rock or a deep hole.

If its just a normal beach start out by staying out of the water completely. Often the fish will be crusing right up along the surf and if your walking 10 feet out they will be behind you if they dont get spooked as you approach. Try fishing both paralell and perpendicular to the shore and keep an eye out for cruising fish, schools of bait, and diving birds and focus your attention there. If you find a shallow flat just wade and cover the water and watch for any movement that could be a fish. Just be sure to wear something over your feet to avoid a hospital trip from a stingray.

Timing is more based on the tides than the time of day, so it just sounds like you'll have to fish when you get the chance and hope for the best.

Like the others said, getting a guide would be your best bet to catch fish, but if you don't want to spend the money and want to try yourself you still have a chance to catch something.

You can also try contacting a flyshop/outfitter in the area to get some better advice about flies, where to fish, and what will be biting.

I did the same trip last year; same area, diffrent islands.

Fishing from the beaches was quite productive.

If I had to pick one fly, it would be crazy charlies.

Caught needle fish, pompano, and small tunnies on the fly.

Most productive was a crazy charlie made from mylar tubing;attach the tubing,then unravel it. ( silverish color ).

Good luck!!!
    chris

Several warnings before you take off on your own. Having cruised several times, I am very leary of taking off on your own. If you are NOT on A CRUISE LINE SPONSORED excursion you WILL BE LEFT if you miss the departing time. This goes for the PRIVATE INDEPENDANT tours also. Last winter, I saw a couple in Roatan Hondras left behind by minutes. Every cruise I've been on someone gets left someplace. It is your responsibility then to get to the next port on your own. Traveling through Belize City, last winter, we saw armed guards with assault rifles by Banks. Central American ports are not places I would feel spend the night. In There is a huge difference between the "Resorts Areas" and the high poverty/crime areas. Several of the cruiselines will actually WARN YOU about wandering through some areas on your own.

Whenever I leave a ship for any reason, I carry my passport, cash, Credit Card and the NAME OF THE CRUISE LINE'S PORT AGENT.

Not sure of your situation, I would at least book a trip through a reputable fly shop. Making sure they know you have to be back early. In a Flyfishing video on Belize, there was a warning about being in the Belize City after dark. If tendering, you might not get off right away. Cruiseline tours go first!!! Normally you have to be back on the ship an hour before departing, so you might not have as much time as you think to fish.

I had the very same thoughts, Last winter but opted for Snorkeling and touring the Mayan Ruins. I would highly reccommend using the boards on CRUISECRITIC.COM and find out what others have to say about your ports and off ship activities.

Thanks for all the help, ya'll! I appreciate it. We are leaving for FL today to hop on board tomorrow.

Any last words of advice?

Thanks again!!!

Good luck, Scott!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread