Those of you who follow the Fly Tying Forum threads may recognize Vanessa. Vanessa is an original pattern created by BB member Jeff Hamm of Aukland NZ. The fly is named after his wife.

About two weeks ago, Jeff contacted me to see if I would try catching cutthroat trout here in SE Idaho with some of his New Zealand flies. After a couple PMs, the flies were on their way to the States. They arrived in Tuesday's mail. There is a thread on the Fly Tying Forum titled "What An Honor" that is a prelude to this thread, and posts on the Fishing Reports Forum reports for SE Idaho Streams and Henry's Fork of the Snake the past couple days that recount my part in the international collaboration and challenge that Jeff and I undertook.

Today, after fishing the South Fork of the Snake for a couple hours, on my way back to my truck, I decided to bring the story to the Fly Anglers Online Forum. Let me tell you, folks, the walk back to my truck today was very emotional. How often in a lifetime do you develop a friendship and a bond with someone you have never met, who lives thousands and thousands of miles away on another Continent ?? How often do you get to share a unique experience with that person ?? Not before in my lifetime, and I doubt it will happen again in whatever number of years I have left.

This story is a tribute to the FAOL Bulletin Board - so it goes on this Forum.

Vanessa made her debut in the U.S. today. On the South Fork of the Snake. Jeff wanted to know if she ( and his other flies ) would catch cutthroat trout.

First fish of the day -

And a couple more cutthroat to follow, including this one -

I wouldn't want to call Vanessa fickle, but she also likes brown trout. This was her final commitment today - a 21" brown -

Vanessa is being retired after today. I think not too far down the road, she is going to find herself back in New Zealand with some pictures of the friends she made here in SE Idaho.

Thanks, Jeff. It's been a great ride - and it ain't over yet !!

John