I recently read yet another post about a local fly shop closing it's doors. I know that just because a fly shop is owned locally doesn't mean it is necessaily well run and some of them deserve to go out of business. Still, most of them are valuable resources that will not ever really be replaced. It seems as though many on the board feel the same way.

In light of the pressures of the big box stores, xMart, and the likes of Ebay, is the locally owned fly shop doomed to fade away? Is there anything that can be done about it?

I would like to pose 2 questions to the group.

1) What is the best way that we can support our local fly shops? It seems impractical to believe that any of us will be able to find everything we want at any one fly shop, especially one that is locally owned and operated. So, what are the key purchases where the local guys can make the most money?

2) What should your local fly shop be doing (or what is yours already doing that all the others should join in on) that could you get you to come in and spend money in their shop instead of Cabellas, Gander Mountain et al?

------------------
Fish more, work less!