+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Fly Shops

Default Local Fly Shops

I recently read yet another post about a local fly shop closing it's doors. I know that just because a fly shop is owned locally doesn't mean it is necessaily well run and some of them deserve to go out of business. Still, most of them are valuable resources that will not ever really be replaced. It seems as though many on the board feel the same way.

In light of the pressures of the big box stores, xMart, and the likes of Ebay, is the locally owned fly shop doomed to fade away? Is there anything that can be done about it?

I would like to pose 2 questions to the group.

1) What is the best way that we can support our local fly shops? It seems impractical to believe that any of us will be able to find everything we want at any one fly shop, especially one that is locally owned and operated. So, what are the key purchases where the local guys can make the most money?

2) What should your local fly shop be doing (or what is yours already doing that all the others should join in on) that could you get you to come in and spend money in their shop instead of Cabellas, Gander Mountain et al?

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

I am not sure I want a local fly shop near me. It seems to draw crowds which are more of an inconvenience than shopping for fly stuff on the net.

We can support our local flyshops by purchacing our equipment and materials from them. If they don't have what we want, suggest they might special order it. If they have classes, take one, or maybe teach one. Recommend the shop to our friends.
    What turns us (me) away from any flyshop is the know all, seen all, be all, attitude of some owners and staff.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

recommend them to friends. buy anything you can there.

my local shop just hads its 10 year aniversery/customer appreciation day. lotta factory reps, food, clinics, ect. but i had to miss it
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

So much depends on the owners personality and the proximity of other shops. Shops need to be on or near a river. I know a lot of people who think it's a nice way to make a living and get into it without much experience. They also should know well the river they are nearest, offer guided wading or float trips and have a good selection of the items anglers always need. They should also have a good knowlege of the hatches and be a good but friendly salesman/woman suggesting local variations of flies that work well on or in their water...Lots to it. Lots of hours. Lots of problems. I always visit the local shops and buy a few things even if I don't need them just to give them a little business. Plus it's nice just to get to know these folks. Weather, stream conditions and the price of gas all figure into it. I would guess the owner should start with enough money to live off of for a couple of years just in case of a bad season or two. The Beaverkill was literaly shut down several times this year because of both early season floods and an early drought where water was low and got very warm. Anyone opening a shop has to be prepared to survive a year or two if these type of conditions affect their income. Not a piece of cake by any means....Bob

Mantis,
    I don't think a shop has to be on a river, or even close. If you've got a good product, knowledgable staff, and can instill a desire to fish, and be the best you can be, regardless of the price, you could have a shop in the middle of the desert.
    IMHO

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

The little city of Pueblo, Colorado has 2 shops. 1 is a small Colorado franchise type (3 in the state I think) and the other is kind of a cabin type. I get most of my stuff in the cabin type. I understand he is thinking of retiring though. The other will suit my needs it just seems to be to clean. Looks like they vacume and dust every day.

Ibuy all of my flyfishing stuff from a local shop. Cliff and Butch at D&B Outfitters in Tulsa always have time to help me and my sons any way they can.If they dont have what I need they order it asap and call me when it shows up.Idont live in Tulsa but drive to their shop because of such great service and now consider them to be very good friends not just someone to do business with.

9. Default

A local shop will probably be hard pressed to compete on product price. So, they need to offer value in the form of service. Examples of such value added service would be providing advice, help with tying, discussing fishing spots and stuff that we all love to do when in a quality shop. We have such a shop in Western NY State that has provided this beginner much assistance which I greatly value. I have purchased my initial rod & reel and some gear from large catalog stores, but the future my $ is going to the local guy. They have helped my fishing & tying.

------------------
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

Betty,Most shops I know of are on or near a river . By that I include shops in "Trout Towns" like Roscoe and West Yellowstone. I consider those shops to be on or near a river. Big shops away from rivers usually also carry stuff like skiing equip and other out door stuff like a regular sporting goods store. Sure you can always find a shop like Jimmy D's in NYC in the old days . In Pa.there are shops in small towns but those small towns are usually within a very short distance of several streams. Unless someone has a mailorder or internet business out of their home I'm having a hard time thinking of a shop that isn't with in a few miles of a river and those that are several miles away are within that distance of several streams...kinda centered if you will. Again, you can have a shop anywhere you want but the further away the tougher it will be to get all the fisherman traffic near a river into your business. In the winter a lot of shops buy a booth at the shows to supplement the seasonal business and hopefully sign up guided trips. Thanks for your thoughts.
    PS: Of course if you live near somewhere where there is no water but enough money and interest, and there would have to be a lot, that the people would have to travel long distances or fly, to fish, you might find a shop but I bet they sell more of a regular sporting goods stuff to survive.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 12 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread