+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiger Eye Revisited

Default Tiger Eye Revisited

With all the discussion of Tiger Eye blanks about a month ago, I had to buy one to see for myself. I also needed a shorter, light rod for a trip to the Smokey Mountains. A 7'6" 3/4 wt seemed to fit the bill.

I built this rod on the cheap. Most of the components were leftovers I had in stock. Other than the blank, the only purchases were the tip top, stripping guide, winding check and reel seat insert. The wraps are candy apple red. I wanted a garnet look, but I was afraid the garnet thread would turn out too dark. The candy apple thread without CP turned out perfectly. I added gold trim bands to match the gold insert in the stripping guide. I replaced the rosewood insert in the reel seat with a walnut insert, which seemed to match the color of the blank better.

I was really impressed with the way the rod cast. Not quite the elegance of some of my higher end rods, but it cast both the 3wt and 4 wt lines very well. The action would be described a medium. Overall, I am very pleased with the rod for a light weight, small stream rod.
    Last edited by dunfly; 10-09-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Thumbs up

dunfly -

Nice looking rod. Reely like the color combinations, and that reel looks reely good too.

Since I'm one of several who promoted the T.E., I'm glad you like it. Interesting that you consider the action on your build medium. I think of my 6' for 2/3, with a DT3F line, as the fast side of medium, and with a DT4F as medium. Either way, they are a nice rod to cast - and catch fish with.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Rod looks real nice. No offense intended, but when making a comparison to what you term as high end rods I wonder if you made the comparison to ones with similar action? I hate the term higher end rod, to me it only means a rod you spent a lot of money on. Again a nice looking build.

Great build! I really have to jump on the band wagon and try a tiger eye. I actually NEED another 3 wt (shorter) for some tight quartered small streams. Would like to hear how it casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    Rod looks real nice. No offense intended, but when making a comparison to what you term as high end rods I wonder if you made the comparison to ones with similar action? I hate the term higher end rod, to me it only means a rod you spent a lot of money on. Again a nice looking build.
    First of all, I rate it medium action, but all of my other rods are medium fast to fast action, so that may be a relative term.

I have two rods I have built to compare it to, a 4wt Custom Series Pac Bay and a 4wt Batson RX-7+. While both blanks run about $200+, I was able to get them for less than half price. If you cast them side by side with the Tiger Eye, you can really tell the difference. Both are more powerful, but they are 9 foot rods. Both have a smoother cast, are more responsive to load and a lighter feel in the hand. This is not to say that the Tiger Eye doesn't outperform its cost, it definately does. It's just that some of the "higher end" rods are worth the extra price.

Quote Originally Posted by setnhooked View Post
    Great build! I really have to jump on the band wagon and try a tiger eye. I actually NEED another 3 wt (shorter) for some tight quartered small streams. Would like to hear how it casts.
    It cast very well with both a 3wt WF Mastery XPS line and a 4wt WF Mastery XPS line.
    It should be particularly well suited to small streams. I was practicing with 20 to 40 foot casts and it had great accuracy. Once I got out to about 50 feet it started straining and accuracy began to fall off. At 70 feet, it really required some effort. But this rod isn't built for distance and I doubt if I will ever need to cast it over 30 feet.

At the price of the Tiger Eye, you really can't go wrong. I paid full retail for the blank (something I rarely do) and I must say, it is one of the best bargains I have ever gotten.

I had one built for my son's birthday this spring off of a Tiger eye blank. 8'6" 5wt.

It actually casts great and he loves the rod.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread