+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guides not on spine question

Hybrid View

Default Guides not on spine question

I have a 7'3" 2 pc ( the tip section is longer than the butt) graphite rod that a friend built and gave me several years ago. He has since moved away and I have lost contact with him. Anyway, one of the guides came off and I had another friend re wrap it for me. He showed me where the spine is and the guides are actually wrapped a quarter turn to the right of the spine. He thought this kind of odd.

So my question is should I have the guides wrapped on the spine or just leave them where they are?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

It makes no difference. Your casting will remain the same. It isn't worth the hassle of changing it. With modern rods, many builders are aligning on the straightest axis rather than the spine because it has no discernable impact on performance.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Enjoy the rod the way it is. If you do a little reseach. You will find suggestions to place guides on the spline, opposite the spline, 90 degrees off the spline, and go for straightness. All have different opinions, if the rod casts well enjoy it. dan

4. Default

ol' blue is correct, the spline does not effect performance or accuracy in any measurable way. Another myth is that guides will change the action or power of a blank, or cutting a blank will make it more powerful or faster actioned.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it wouldn't make any difference. But, had to ask none the less.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

As if all those 'arguments' are not reason enough to ignore it, (also it's fact that the largest fly rod maker in the world lines them up 'straight') (and when a guy picks up a new rod in a store the main thing he looks at is how straight it is), you can get into a nose-bloodying or shin-kicking contest at most any 'watering-hole' about whether it is called "Spine or Spline"! So there...

Normand Guest

AnglerDave
    I had a very difficult time figuring out and understanding the spine with available words written. After I finally understood it...I realized I didn't care about it anymore. The rod will load where the guides are....period. I took my two piece 9' rod to the stream...turned the tip section off ninety degrees to see the difference. I forgot I turned it and got interested in FISHING...and totally didn't realize it till 4 hours later. it is much ado about nothing. It is there. It can be found. But on fly rods the diff is soooooo small and insignificant it really doesn't matter.

anglerdave;
    I do and I don't find the spline, just a preferance. It may reduce fatigue after a long day casting.
    Missalinging the guides as suggested may not affect the casting but it will sure screw up shooting any line. Casting does also include shooting some line through the guides! Try it some time and watch your 50' cast die at 30'!!

Glad to see you building some rods Jim, hope you have a lot of fun!

+ Reply to Thread