+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall Florida Report

Blog Entries

Default Fall Florida Report

The air is cooling and the sunrises are magnificent. It's time to head for the nearest lake and try your luck.

Lake Manatee, a 2,500-acre body of water near my home, is my choice. The worst day I've ever had on the lake was pretty darn good. It has the reputation of being tough, but I've not found it that way at all.

I've made two trips in the past week. Last Friday, I did very well, catching 60 bluegill and speckled perch (crappie). I also hooked three fish that I couldn't handle. I suspected they were channel cats. But my 1-weight and 3.6-pound tippet weren't up to the task.

So, today, I beefed up to 4-weight and 8-pound fluoro tippet.

I caught 80 fish. Most were bluegill (about half were hand-size), but I also caught shellcracker, bass and stumpknocker. I also solved the mystery of the tackle-busting fish. They indeed were channel cats. I hooked on and landed one. It was big; it was 3 pounds on the Boga Grip. They fight was great.

Lake Manatee truly is a great lake. Most of my fish came on No. 10 bead head nymph under and strike indicator -- what a great producer.

Dawn:

Speckled perch:

Bluegill:

Channel cat:

Steve

That's great, Steve. You give me the itch to go Speck fishing now that Fall and Winter is here. I need to get busy and settle on a good paddle boat.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

That bluegill picture is sweet! Interesting speckling on the gill plate, and copper patch on the forehead... They look so different from the bluegills we have here! Even when ours are in full spawning coloration! Here's a spawning male from Iowa...for comparison:

I wonder if there aren't bluegill subspecies? You know...kind of like the Florida-strain largemouth bass vs. the northern strain bass...?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Ah...indeed it is! It is a bluegill subspecies known as the Coppernose Bluegill, and is native to penisular Florida. Here's a link to more info:
    http://www.bigbluegill.com/profiles/...logPost%3A5896
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Ah...indeed it is! It is a bluegill subspecies known as the Coppernose Bluegill, and is native to penisular Florida. Here's a link to more info:
    http://www.bigbluegill.com/profiles/...logPost%3A5896
    I learned something new, Dave. I didn't realize that we had a subspecies. Thanks!
    Steve

The distinct copper band across the head which is brilliant on the male is the reason for the common name "coppernose".
    I have heard the term coppernose before. Don't know why they call it a "coppernose" when the band is on the head, not the nose. I call them copperhead bluegill.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread