+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smokers.....

Hybrid View

Default Pipe Smokers.....

Didn't want to steal CO's thunder in the coffee roasting thread, so I thought I would start a new topic.

It is great to see fellow pipe smokers. I am a member and mod of a few different pipe and cigar boards. It is neat to see how many fly fishers there are who share the passion of the leaf.

I have really been heavy on English blends lately, but edging back into some Virginias. This years Christmas Cheer has really held my attention.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I'm truly dumbfounded by this post..

Between all the calls for prayers on this site and with so many companies involved in fly fishing who continue to support recovery and finding a cure, we find ourselves in the year 2008, with this.

David
    Last edited by Dave E; 09-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm truly dumfounded by this post..

With all of the calls for tolerance and diversity, we find ourselves in the year 2008, with this.

I used to smoke a pipe, I gave it up 25 years ago. I don't think badly about pipe-smoking or pipe smokers. Nor do I assume that most of them are going to get cancer from it. Joe V's bread will kill one if eaten in too much excess.

A couple of years ago, we had two fishermen die in the tailwaters in Tennessee. There is a certain amount risk inherent to most activities. There is even a risk in doing nothing.

Ed Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Joe V's bread will kill one if eaten in too much excess
    Really? Do these look like something that could harm you?

...and how about those dandy cinnamon rolls?????

Please don't tell me that this Chicken Cordon Bleu is also bad for me...

I'm checking out with a smile on MY face and full stomach.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 10-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Really? Do these look like something that could harm you?

...and how about those dandy cinnamon rolls?????

Please don't tell me that this Chicken Cordon Bleu is also bad for me...

I'm checking out with a smile on MY face and full stomach.

Those of us battling high blood glucose levels could be harmed by those. However, I still like to eat good fresh hot bread.

I also smoke a cigar when I fish and have been known to take my pipe along.

I stand a pretty decent chance of being killed or seriously injured while driving to the water. I work a high stress job and may have a heart attack. I may drop dead for any number of reasons. I've known people (My friend Mr. Carlson) who died of lung cancer and had never smoked anything in his entire life.

Everything can hurt you. The man asked a question. A simple question.

Geesh, the politically correctness....

Jeff

Ahhhhh! "One of DoughGod's cinny-buns, accompanied by a freshly roasted, ground and properly prepared cup of Midnight Malabar............ followed, when done, with a bowl full of a fine English hand rubbed, flaked Virginia, possibly "tweaked" with just hint of Latikia!?!"
    Nice way to end the day! This can all be enjoyed, of course too, while entering the day's information into one's fishing log, while sitting at the split plank table in the cabin............ the sound of the stream, just outside the door.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Ahhhhh! "One of DoughGod's cinny-buns, accompanied by a freshly roasted, ground and properly prepared cup of Midnight Malabar............ followed, when done, with a bowl full of a fine English hand rubbed, flaked Virginia, possibly "tweaked" with just hint of Latikia!?!"
    Nice way to end the day! This can all be enjoyed, of course too, while entering the day's information into one's fishing log, while sitting at the split plank table in the cabin............ the sound of the stream, just outside the door.

Flybinder, my favorite was 19 parts good Cavendish and 1 part Latakia.

Ed

I'm not a religious person, yet for some reason this comes to mind
    He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I'm truly dumbfounded by this post..

Between all the calls for prayers on this site and with so many companies involved in fly fishing who continue to support recovery and finding a cure, we find ourselves in the year 2008, with this.

David Ecklund.
    Thanks for the positive contribution to the thread. If I thought you would read it, I would post links to studies that show pipe smoking(due to non-inhilation) is about as harmfull as being out in the sun. In fact driving down the road is more harmful than smoking a pipe.

But please, feel free to judge me.

I'm one of those pipe guys... secretary/treasurer/webdude for our local pipe club. Been smoking about 35 years now. Over the last 5 or 6 years I've been going to a few pipe shows -- and buying/selling/trading pipes. I've been known to buy a bunch and refurbish them. Keep some that I'm fond of and sell or trade the rest.

Man, Joe's cinnabuns look good!! I'm all for Paul's suggestion for the end of the day. I'm quite partial to latakia blends, and enjoy a good many virginia blends as well.

JohnR

+ Reply to Thread