+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stained water

Hybrid View

Default Stained water

What flies are good for stained water?

This won't be much of an answer and it would be helpful to know what you're fishing for in stained water to give you something more helpful. But I tend to go with brighter stuff, Micky Finn's, chartruese & white clousers, yellow, orange, chartruese egg and sucker spawn patterns. Nymphs with flash, or gold, orange or chartruese bead heads. If you have a target species your referencing here let me know and I might have some other recommendations.
    Joe Bertolini

General guidelines for me are the more stained it is the larger, flasher the fly becomes. Last week of the inland trout season I was fishing some heavily stained water and was wishing for clearer water conditions. The next day I was fishing gin clear water and wished that the water was more stained.

Good luck

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default What Alra195 and Clay have suggested!

Hi Jiggin,

You've already gotten some good advice from Alra195 and Clay. Generally, flashing and bright, large and the capacity to move a lot of water are the way to go. I'm going to alienate a lot of people with the suggestion but when this happens to me on a lake, usually because of boats and jet skis muddying the shoreline water, I go with a size #6 or #8 Wooly Bugger with a metal propeller to help move lots of water. Yes, I know that I may be cast into the lower regions for that admission but I'm talking really MUDDY water. I bought my orginal buggers with propellers from Cabelas but now tie my own. Good luck, remember muddy water bothers fishermen more than the fish. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 10-08-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I find that woolly buggers are good stained-water flies, because of the vibrations put out by the stiff hackle fibers. Fish seem to be able to locate that fly fairly well.
    Sometimes a brighter fly will work, other times a dark fly. Try both ends of the spectrum to see what the fish prefer.

In a non-fly-fishing example...we've found walleyes in a lake in Canada that had a preference for rootbeer-colored plastics, which practically blended in to the tannin-stained water! I don't know how they see those lures, but they sure like'em!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

There's a great spring creek a couple of hours from me, and a lot of locals don't head there until the water's a little stained, because that's when you have the best shot at landing one of the finicky, 20-plus-inch browns on this tough little stream. Once the water's up and off, they like to throw what the folks above have mentioned--heavy woolly buggers with plenty of flash and weighted crawdad imitations, as well as kreelex flies, which I've never used but look extra meaty and flashy. Good luck,

dave

When the waters off color (like real thin mud) I go with bigger, dark colored flies. Seems to work pretty well.

Good question, it'll be good to hear what others use. In general, you might want to think "big, bright, bulky" for stained water, at least as a starting point.

Big- go to larger sizes than you'd use in clear water

Bright- chartreuse seems the most visible, and other fluorescent colors like orange can also be good. Black and "blurple" (black/purple) can be good too, maybe because it presents a good silhouette.

Bulky- flies that push water are good, since they send out stronger signals for pick up by a fish's lateral line. I've never used flies with rattles, but that might help too for some fish like bass or redfish?

As far as patterns, it depends what you're fishing for, but some examples might be:

rabbit strip flies, half and halfs, deerhair divers, chartreuse clousers for bass

Hot pink, chartreuse crappie candies for warm water panfish/crappie might be good

Big black muddler minnows, zoo cougars, large stonefly nymphs with a "hot spot" for trout and also work well for steelhead, along with hairwing salmon patterns like Green Butt Skunks, and big marabou and spey patterns

If you're fishing moving water that's off colored the material can make a difference. In high fast water you might want a hair wing type of fly that will help to hold it's shape. In slower water, something with marabou or spey hackle will breathe and pulse, but get compressed in high flows.

Around here, a very effective fly for striped bass in the stained water near harbors where there are menhaden, is a large chartreuse deceiver or half and half. Even though a white/olive deceiver looks more like a menhaden, the chartreuse colored flies seem to work much better especially when the water is off colored.

Hope this helps...

peregrines

I live close to a pond with that kind of water. Small black/ orange WBuggers with a few strands of gold flashabou are great.

Rocketfish

+ Reply to Thread