+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to learn how to roast their own coffee at home?

Hybrid View

Talking Who wants to learn how to roast their own coffee at home?

Warning: this is a dangerous (addictive) road!

Since we have a lot of DIYers here, and also a lot who seem to enjoy "Gourmet" foods, I thought I might share something. One of my many other vices is that I roast my own coffee.

It is pretty easy, and you can try it / start without much of a $$$ investment at all. Even your bad batches will be a lot better than most anything you've drank before. There's the hook (trust me).

So, if you're interested, read further.

I am willing to tutor/coach anyone here wanting to give this a try. You get to consume your results, and you can save money. Just like any other addiction, I mean, habit, I mean, hobby, you can also go overboard and spend the savings on equipment.

So, speak up, and let's see if this is worth the time and bb space.

Hmm, I just realized there's no option on here for a poll. Too bad. The options were going to be:
    - Great! Sign me up!
    - Curiously interested.
    - Roast my own coffee? Why? What's wrong with Folgers?

Anyway, let's hear it!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

I'll wait and watch from the sidelines to see how this one evolves. I have enough vises & vices right now to keep me going. Maybe in the winter I'll swap some bread for some fresh grind.

Good Luck. There are now FAOL Bread Addicts thanks to me, so maybe you can get some coffee addicts as well. I'll bet your coffee would go great with some of my bread. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Sounds like the makings of a "What's Cooking" article for LF.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Indeed, your bread is great with fresh roast! Yum!!!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Seems to me ol' Flybinder does his own coffee & has some expertise here. I'll have to see if Paul chimes in.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Sound's like an Idea to me

CO_flyfisher

I have been roasting my own for a couple of years now. I first used an electric popcorn popper and now use an old hand crank popper heated by my propane camp stove.

I buy organic coffee from Coasta Rica for $4 per lb. Three of us go thru about 10 lbs. every six weeks.

I'd love to hear your technique to compare notes.

Steve

Hmmmmmmmmmmm COFFEE ROASTING, eh?
    Yes, as RARE as it appears to BE, OhioTubers IS right this time! I, do, roast my own coffee and have for over 16 years now. You're right...... "Nothing better" and by far, it's cheaper way to go if you consume a fair amount of coffee!
    I have 3 roasters, a #1, #3 and a #5. I get my coffee, (green beans), luckily, from a local roaster right near my home. so no freight's involved and that makes it right at $3.95 a pound for beans.
    I've used the crank style popcorn popper and they DO work pretty well for a very cheap way to roast good coffee! Since I also "roast to sell", though, I have to have a bit more precise roasts, time after time, so thus my switch to the different roasters I use.
    I think the topic's a good one if it takes off!! Cant' let all those "Dough God's" get all the gourmet credit!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I'll wait and watch from the sidelines to see how this one evolves. I have enough vises & vices right now to keep me going. Maybe in the winter I'll swap some bread for some fresh grind.

Good Luck. There are now FAOL Bread Addicts thanks to me, so maybe you can get some coffee addicts as well. I'll bet your coffee would go great with some of my bread. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Sounds like the makings of a "What's Cooking" article for LF.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMBread. I'm on my second machine, I'll never buy a loaf of bread again... Been making it for 5 years.....

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    MMMMMMMMMMMMBread. I'm on my second machine, I'll never buy a loaf of bread again... Been making it for 5 years.....
    Roasting coffee can be done with an old bread machine. The stirring paddle in the bottom roatates the beans. Check out these couple of links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlOOuJZQQ4

http://www.coffeecrone.com/roasting/faq.htm

If you already have a second machine, this might be right up your alley. I use to think buying whole beans at the grocery store was gourmet. Many of those whole beans have been around for multiple months and if you buy beans in a store that happen to have an expireation date on them, notice that the date is over a year out before they say it expires.

Most of the coffee nuts want to drink the coffee from beans that were roasted from 1 to 10 days ago and not longer. They want to grind the beans and brew within seconds. I use to grind at the store and then use the coffee within a couple of weeks, now if my wife grinds more than she should at 5 am and I get up at 7, I throw that ground coffee out and grind new for what I make. It's funny how things change.

Rick

Are there any truly caffeine-free coffees availabale now? I think many people are surprised to learn that "de-caffeinated" does NOT mean 'caffeine-free'.

I love roasted coffees but can't touch caffeine.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 10-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread