+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brushbeater rod advice needed

Default Brushbeater rod advice needed

'Brushbeater' is what our local old-timer calls them up here, anyway -- 6.5-7 ft, 2-3 weight, 3-4-piece for crawling thru dense willows to tiny mountain creeks for brookies and smallish browns and rainbows...and hopefully 4-pc for some long backpack trip searches for goldens and cutts.

I'm actually going to BUILD this new rod, but I'm looking for advice from folks who have used the commercial versions, so I can choose my blanks. Our local fly shop offers free lessons and use of their tools if I buy the blanks from them, and since they are a Scott and St Croix pro shop, I can get the best deals on those blanks, but I want whatever is perfect for me, no matter what the brand. They have rods available for hand-on test casting there, but no 6.5 ft, 2-3 wts on location.

SO -- Has anyone out there used a:
    Scott F-series?
    St Croix Avid series travel rod?
    Advice on a another brand that also sells blanks that I should take a look at, 2-3 wt, 6.5-7 ft?

Thanks in advance!

Danbob

danbob, imho, for that kind of fishing i'd look for a reasonably priced rod with a warranty...just a thought...

Danbob:
    I built a 6' 6" 4 pc "Forecast" 2 wt. from Hook & Hackle. Cost about 40 bucks and was a breeze to build.
    Added a Phulger Medalist reel, wgt. forward line and headed out to the Blue Gill pond.
    Nice rod!!
    I have a Cabela's 7' 3 wt. that is a sweet rod but a 2 pc. So guess what my next build will be?
    Right now I'm building a 9' 4 pc. 5 wt. to replace my 2 pc. rod.

i have to say i admire you rod builders. i'd be afraid of what i'd end up with if i built a rod. now if you would only stop repeating yourselves....

i built a forecast 7'6" 5pc 4wt, which, if i had used the kit available, would have only run about $40 or $50 bucks from Hook & Hackle. the blank alone is in the $30 price range, and i added my own selection of components, and still came out under $80.

broken down, this rod is just over 13" in length. strung up, its a great casting little rod. medium/fast action, supple tip, and enough backbone to land the occasional 28" rainbow or brown with no problem.

for a travel/pack rod...you cant beat that price.

D.Micus--give rodbuilding a try. by following the series from Al Campbell on this site, and asking a few questions as you go along, its really alot easier than one might initially think.

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

A shucks Dave!! Just got caught up with the moment.
    Not to steal danbob's post but rod building is nice hobby. The 4 pc. 6.5' rod could have been assembled in an evening as there were no guides to wrap on the butt section.
    Just fit and glue up the handle then start wraping guides.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

i'm not being modest when i say i'm no finish man!!! i'll leave the rod building to you craftsman. (though i do see ll bean has a rod building kit--everything needed--for under $70. has me tempted to just give it a try...)

those builders especially prone to repeating themselves are the $40-$50 a rod hook and hackle freaks (no malice intended).

that said I'll go ahead and repeat myself...st croix avid is an excellent rod for the price. blank'll run you $60-$75. I use a 6' 3wt for brushbeating and love it. action is medium to medium fast and the rod has backbone. I landed a two foot plus catfish on mine. I built mine but got stoopit and put a $90 reel seat on it. I figure if you save money on the blank sink it into nice jewelry for the rod.

micus, by all means try building a rod. these daze it's almost idiot proof. notice I said almost.

mgj

It would have to be idiot proof for this Dave to want to give it a try. My problem is the amount of time it would take. But this comes from someone who gets bored and worn out after tying up three flies.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I fish a lot of small streams like you describe, and my favorite rod is built on a Lamiglas Appalachian Travel blank- a 6'6" 3wt 3pc. This is a very sweet casting rod. I have two Forecast 2wt 4pc blanks that I'm bulding up for friends. I haven't cast one yet, but I've heard good things about them.

BHP

+ Reply to Thread