+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7-12" Pike Flies

Hybrid View

Question 7-12" Pike Flies

Okay,
    After being on the water for four hours Saturday without so much as a sniff from a pike, I find myself in search of the largest flies anyone has ever tied. I watched a guy in another boat land a 30" pike on a foot long musky plug and he invited me over to fish the area with him. Neither of us caught another fish.

I am looking to find a pattern with four traits:

1: Long
    2: Bulky to "push" some water
    3: Noisy (for obvious reasons)
    4: CATCHES PIKE

If anyone knows of such a pattern, please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Rory.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

try tying a megadiver, Large dalhburg diver, using streamer hair for a tail. Lots of flash. dan

do a google search under mega diver
    Last edited by Danny Gober; 10-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Fly Fishing for Pike is very popular here in the UK.
    Here is the site for the enthousiasts,
    http://www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk/

Lots of info on rods,reels,flies, end tackle and techniques
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I have your answer... look for a fly called the rattle snake, can be as long as you want, is articulated so you have tons of action, deer hair head so moves water, and has beeds that rattle and click together for noise. If that doesn't do the trick I don't know what to tell you. If you have any trouble finding it or can't access the site I'm going to link you to just PM me and I'll send you a couple.

http://p068.ezboard.com/ftrouttalkfr...picID=90.topic

I use small beads from the craft store and only use 3-4 and use spider wire to link the two hooks, if I use just two small beads and make a bigger deer hair head it will almost susspend, making the big bass around here loose all control of themselves. or if I'm fishing musky down deep I use 5-6 beads and a sinking line to dredge the bottom. I have tied a few that were close to 7 maybe 8 inches long but rarely use them since I don't chase musky as much as I need to.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveP; 10-06-2008 at 09:58 PM.

http://www.stripermoon.com/flies/ecg.html

Easy fly to tie for anything that eats fishies smaller than itself.

If you can find long enough hackles this fly can be an easy 12+ inches long.

Colors are limitless.

You'd be surprised at what pike will eat. You may not need a 7 to 12 inch fly to catch them, depends on what type of bait fish they're feeding on. Tossing flies that large can be a drag if you're doing it for several hours. The only time I get to do any concentrated fishing for pike is the week I spend in northern Ontario each summer. The pike that time of year range 20-30 inches. This fly has caught a dozen and half pike for me over the last three years. I tie it 6-8 inches long with and without a prop and it's light enough to cast with a 6 wgt. Although I tie it in other colors, white is the hottest.

I also tie it articulated which brings the length up to 9-11 inches, and makes it chuck and duck on the 6 wgt but fine for the 8 wgt.

There are a lot of perch in the lake, so I tied this one up.

8 inches long. Chuck and duck for the 6 wgt, great for the 8 wgt.

This is the largest fly I tie, intended for salt water, it should be fished with a 9 or 10 wgt rod. This one's 11 inches long. I'll troll it on my 8 wgt.

A couple of other flies you should look at are the "Siliclone", "Hollow Fleye" and the "Semper Fleye"
    They can be tied large, are light weight and push water.

Hello Rory,

Try this one:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...030303fotw.php

Or this one with large American rooster cape hackle for the body, big eyes and the longest saddle hackles you can find:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...103105fotw.php

Cheers,

Richard
    Plano TX

Default 7-12" Pike Flies

Just a follow up from last fall:

On the venture of finding the fly to catch the ever elusive Northern Pike in Kansas, I finally came up with a few patterns to fool, or aggrivate the fish enough to make them bite. My thanks to all of your suggestions and recommendations for patterns to catch these guys! What a hoot!!

By modifying a bass pattern I tie called a Sparklin' Diver and creating the Bucktail Agitator, I'd like to think we've got them pretty much figured out.

Last edited by ROR-EYE; 04-19-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Blog Entries

i posted this picture a while ago. these flies are made from paracord. cut two lengths of cord (the same length) and remove the inner cord if there is one. next take some aluminum tape and remove the stickey side and sandwich it. then cut this to the shape you want the body to be. insert this into the now empty paracord. tie one end to a hook and then tie a strip of foam to the top of the fly and tie off the other end.
    the bottom fly is 10 inches.

My "big" pike flies are 6" long and they work great.

You must have a special need for such humongous stuff. Hope it fills your bill.

My muskie flies are also no longer than 7-8"...mostly smallish Mega divers. No bulk.

Nice rig and flies you have there.

G' luck man. Bring a lunch...

Jeremy.

Last edited by Jeremy; 04-20-2009 at 12:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread