+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Central Texas River Access

Hybrid View

Default Central Texas River Access

Someone told me at Cabelas, that if you were a member of this site, you could gain better access to rivers such as The Guadalupe, can someone please tell me more about this?

There are private leases on the Guadalupe that you can get access to if you are a member of Trout Unlimited. TU will automatically affiliate you with the Texas chapter (Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited), and after paying a fee to the chapter and participating in a short orientation program, you have earned right to get to the river over the leased access points.

The gun and fly shop "Sportsman's Finest" (@ Bee Cave,TX) typically holds the lease access classes.

Here is the link: www.grtu.org

Default not sure

I'm not sure this is the site they were talking about. Most likely they meant the site for the Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited chapter. They have a lease member program where you can gain access to the lands they own on the Guad and maybe some of the other rivers too, I'm not sure. This is their site: http://www.grtu.org/

I used to live down there for a little while (Austin). GRTU carries a lot of weight down there and can be a helpful group to get involved with. Also look into purchasing a copy of a book called Flyfishing the Texas Hill Country. It will give you directions to river accesses for 13-15 different rivers including the Guad, Blanco, Frio, Llano, Perdenales, San Marcos and many more. I would imagine if you ask around the GRTU site or pop into any of the flyshops they can tell you how to get one. It is also good to pair that book up with a good book of Texas maps so that it is easier to see where some of the smaller county roads refferenced in the book are.

Definately stop in Gruene Outfitters if you are ever down that way and if you ever feel that you would like a guide look up Alvin Dedeaux. This is is his site : http://www.alvindedeaux.com/

Alvin is one of the most fun people I've ever been around. He is always smiling and it makes others around him do the same. He is very knowledgable about the cen-tex rivers and could teach you a lot... even in just one day. I learned alot about guiding by watching Alvin work with people.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction-

Phil

+ Reply to Thread